Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
638 replies to this topic

#621 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

I'm guessing Columbus will be on 97(15). Unless Hialeah isn't ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#622 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

So how many are there in service - i.e. not being repaired or not ready? If they are not in service, when will they be back? With so much discussion, the air at this altitude is getting cloudy.

#623 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

I would guess that on a particular day almost nobody here knows precisely which delivered cars are actually in service.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#624 mgl1978

mgl1978

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Amtrak still has service disruptions in Florida due to Hurricane Irma.  They won't send any new cars south until resumption of full service to Miami.  The pickup from Elmira probably occurred so you might see it in Sunnyside.

#625 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Amtrak still has service disruptions in Florida due to Hurricane Irma.  They won't send any new cars south until resumption of full service to Miami.  The pickup from Elmira probably occurred so you might see it in Sunnyside.
I had based my assumption on a post that indicated they'd be running - but this has since been modified.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#626 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Amtrak still has service disruptions in Florida due to Hurricane Irma.  They won't send any new cars south until resumption of full service to Miami.

The current delays are not the fault of CAF.  ;)

#627 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,757 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

Amtrak still has service disruptions in Florida due to Hurricane Irma.  They won't send any new cars south until resumption of full service to Miami.

Yeah. Why would one expect a car builder to deliver cars in which the Air-conditioner actually works. How very daft of people to have such odd expectations! :P

#628 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

Yeah. No reason to get all hot and bothered over that.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#629 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yeah. Why would one expect a car builder to deliver cars in which the Air-conditioner actually works. How very daft of people to have such odd expectations! :P

Are we sure that Amtrak did not specify specific AC equipment in order to provide interchangeability with existing cars? I have no idea if that happened, but we are talking Amtrak, so just saying.

#630 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Older equipment would likely have been r-22 based,  newer equipment can not be. Also, I would not be surprised if the compressor is a more modern/efficient design. The tendency in new railcars, where the car type permits, is to use packaged units in the roof for ease of swap out for maintenance. 

#631 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Are we sure that Amtrak did not specify specific AC equipment in order to provide interchangeability with existing cars? I have no idea if that happened, but we are talking Amtrak, so just saying.
Yeah. Unfortunately exceptionalism appears to apply to Amtrak and the decisions it makes, in spades, unfortunately.

#632 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

Has Amtrak moved the V-2 diners temporarily to all Crescent and  LSL ?  That until service restored to MIA ?

#633 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:More trains !

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

Has Amtrak moved the V-2 diners temporarily to all Crescent and  LSL ?  That until service restored to MIA ?

No

#634 ainamkartma

ainamkartma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Are there any diners at all on the LSL at this time?  If so, I missed the announcement of their return.

Ainamkartma

#635 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Are there any diners at all on the LSL at this time?  If so, I missed the announcement of their return.

Ainamkartma

No....just the lounge subbing for the diner....

#636 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

On trainorders there are photos of two SM consists being stored in Philly until the Meteor starts running again. Augusta and Boston are in these two consists as the dining car "of record."
Cheers, Nick
Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.

Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

#637 Amtrak706

Amtrak706

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

I happened to be near Elmira, NY today, so I took a look around CAF. I saw several Viewliner shells in the back, some on trucks and some not. What's odd is that they all appeared to be sleeper cars, and several were even wrapped by the doors like they were being stored. Does anyone know what's up with this?

(Photos are below. Check out their little shop switcher as well.)

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/O5aZmWM
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/fz85voS
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/2wUzOPq
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/OOif8xW
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Iv5oexO

#638 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,757 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:11 AM

And so the mystery saga of VL II deliveries continues unabated... :)

#639 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted Today, 01:01 PM

Looking at these photos, it appears that no work is being done.  They mystery is on going.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

jtallen