246 replies to this topic

#241 KnightRail

KnightRail

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

Furthermore, even if the Lake Shore, Silver Star and Cardinal all get diners, AND the cardinal becomes daily, there will still be a fairly substantial spare factor, without keeping any Heritage cars active. 

Exactly. 25 new diners plus 8400 makes 26 which is more than sufficient. There is no need to hoard old worn out heritage equipment. It's time to let it go.

#242 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

4 (Crescent) + 4 (Star) + 4 (Meteor) + 3 (LSL) + 4 (Cardinal according to some!) = 19

+ 20% shop count of 4 = 23

+ 1 protect each in Miami, New Orleans, Chicago + 2 protect in NY == 28

26 is not sufficient for expansion  It's not even the number you want for the existing trains, really.

If the daily Cardinal only takes 3 and you only have 1 protect in NY you have exactly enough. 

Anything further (such as the suggested branch of the Crescent to Fort Worth)  is stealing from another train (most likely the Star, which may never get its dining car back).

The Heritage cars are beyond unmaintainable at this point and must be retired.  But I do think that 26 dining cars isn't enough; Amtrak needs to get a few extras in case of wrecks, at least.

Edited by neroden, 22 April 2017 - 06:04 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#243 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

+ 1 protect each in Miami, New Orleans, Chicago + 2 protect in NY == 28

If Amtrak doesn't maintain 'protect' cars with Heritage equipment old enough to draw Social Security - and they do not - they certainly shouldn't need to with new Viewliner dining cars. 

#244 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted Yesterday, 11:55 AM

from reliable source: Should be an Amtrak special going to Elmira from Albany on Monday April 24th to pick up some new Diners. Amtrak Crew onduty at 7am in Albany. Power should be the 514 going south, a coach, and a P42 on the north end. All subject to change of course.

#245 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted Yesterday, 02:54 PM

from reliable source: Should be an Amtrak special going to Elmira from Albany on Monday April 24th to pick up some new Diners. Amtrak Crew onduty at 7am in Albany. Power should be the 514 going south, a coach, and a P42 on the north end. All subject to change of course.

Hopefully this isn't Fake News,aka Trump World's "Alternate Reality".

If so it's Great News!😎

Once the testing is done, we'll have long threads here discussing which Trains will get the Diners first!😉

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#246 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:39 PM

I guess there's no chance of the Star getting its diners back by the middle of next month for my upcoming trip. Oh well! :wacko:

#247 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted Today, 12:04 PM

According to posts on trainorders, Friday CAF will serve up Two Diners,68002 (Atlanta) and 68003 (Agusta).😎

Hopefully the testing will go well, and many more will be rolling out of the Factory!

Edited by Bob Dylan, Today, 12:04 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

CraigDK, Bob Dylan