Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

• Please log in to reply
2132 replies to this topic

#1901 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

Having the VII Diners to sit in, is so much nicer, not going to quibble about the word "Lounge".  Not having to be stuck in my room most of the trip, except for a meal, will be nice.  Definitely an improvement on the LSL.

• cpotisch likes this

#1902 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,379 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

There are reports of a sighting over at another site of 449(2) at BBY with V-II "Nashville" in consist .

There were photographs of it posted here.

So I guess you were on 449(2), meaning 68021 'Raleigh' was on your train. Meaning this run must be the first time it ever entered service!

attachicon.gifIMG_7739.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_7750.jpg

I’m on 449(2) at Albany. I checked the “sleeper lounge” and it’s “Nashville”.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1903 CHvision

CHvision

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

Not sure if this fits the topic, but just for the summer, the Lake Shore Limited consist is shortened by a baggage car, a Amfleet II cafe and a coach car. 

#1904 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

A diner has taken over for the amcafe. LSL is also down 1 VL sleeper. No need for a NY bag, it isn't going to NYP for a while.

#1905 CHvision

CHvision

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

The Lake Shore Limited now has a viewliner diner, unfortunately, it's used as a lounge car

• crescent2 likes this

#1906 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

I just saw a video taken at Worcester of the LSL yesterday. It appears to consist of:

1 P42

1 VL II Bag

4 Amfleet II Coach

1 Amfleet Lounge/BC

1 VL II Diner/lounge

2 VL I Sleeper

So that is one less VL I Sleeper, 1 less VL II bag and 1 or 2 less Amfleet II Coach compared to the full complement before the Diner was taken off.

• cpotisch likes this

#1907 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

That is consistent with the set I rode on a few days ago. Pretty much what fits Boston.

#1908 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

For the record, does anyone still care if/when new diners are released from the factory? I'm hardly excited at the prospect of receiving a new "lounge."

• chrsjrcj, Seaboard92 and daybeers like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#1909 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

For the record, does anyone still care if/when new diners are released from the factory? I'm hardly excited at the prospect of receiving a new "lounge."

Yo, I need an excuse to go to Fox Point State Park (other than the walking there is beneficial to my health).  :)

#1910 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

Seems anticlimactic to look at additional Diner releases.  More interesting is how far away are the other cars.

• daybeers and Pere Flyer like this

#1911 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

Yes information still need.

Why were a few cars skipped?
When will Albany (the test bed) be available?

What is next?
What is the deployment plan?

#1912 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Actually, from a train watching perspective, I would like to see these lounges introduced to the Star (even without the meals). I feel it adds more character to the train when I watch it go by :P
  • crescent2, daybeers and CHvision like this

#1913 stappend

stappend

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

Yes, as watching the rest of the diners be delivered will give us all false hope that the dorms and sleepers will quickly follow.

#1914 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

Honestly, I think the Cardinal is the most likely use for the new diners anytime remotely soon, if only because it only needs two diners, and if they kept the current meal prep system, operating costs wouldn't have to increase. Amtrak currently has 20 ViewDiners available for service, but between the Meteor, Crescent, and LSL, they're only using 11 at a time. Not to go on another tangent about shop margins, but if they put ViewDiners on the Cardinal, they would have seven cars available as protects, which strikes me as more than enough. I'm not saying it's likely, but I think it's much more likely than adding them to the Star. That said, if they don't put the diners on either, the only difference each delivery makes is that we're that much closer to the sleepers and bag-dorms.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#1915 CHvision

CHvision

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:56 PM

In my opinion, when all the diners are on Amtrak, it would make sense to put one on the Cardinal and the Star (same process as the LSL so far).

#1916 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:29 AM

In my opinion, when all the diners are on Amtrak, it would make sense to put one on the Cardinal and the Star (same process as the LSL so far).

If they put it on the Star, it would be replacing the current AmCafe, which has more booths/tables than the ViewDiners, and offers an open food service area and counter. That means a switch to a ViewDiner would result in reduced capacity, and they would probably have to cut away the wall enclosing the kitchen area, so as to serve people snacks from it. Possible, but strikes me as doubtful.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#1917 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

If they put it on the Star, it would be replacing the current AmCafe, which has more booths/tables than the ViewDiners, and offers an open food service area and counter. That means a switch to a ViewDiner would result in reduced capacity, and they would probably have to cut away the wall enclosing the kitchen area, so as to serve people snacks from it. Possible, but strikes me as doubtful.

Not sure it would replace the AmCafe or would serve as a Sleeper Lounge as on the Lake Shore with the Cafe continuing to be available for Coach passengers. I would think they would want to harmonize the service offerings across the system, with all single-night trains having the same amenities for Coach and Sleeper.  My guess is that the Star being an outlier will be ending.

• AmtrakBlue, OBS, daybeers and 2 others like this

#1918 GBNorman

GBNorman

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

OK volks; there are nineteen (19) VII-D on the property. Including the five "protect" cars needed to have one at each end point, that means there are three "sitting in the sun" at HIA, or likely getting their periodic maintenance. Eleven are needed for existing assignments to 19-20, 87-88, and 448-449. If the remaining six cars are to be assigned to 50-51 and 91-92, a protect would need to be placed at WAS. That means one car short, or either there would be one less at HIA, or 8400 would need to be returned to service.

Now once the Penn trackwork is done and both 50-51 and 48-49 resume service there, the protects at both BOS and WAS could be released.

Stay tuned.

#1919 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

SS Sleeper rates would have to be changed to compensate for meals being added.

• cpotisch likes this

#1920 gaspeamtrak

gaspeamtrak

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Riding Amtrak!! Watching Amtrak...Riding Via Rail!! Riding British trains and European trains

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:37 AM

Just wondering if anything is happening at the "Caf" plant in "Elmira" 

Seems like we have not seen any deliveries in a while??? 

Just curious ???

Thanks...

• Palmetto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users