Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

• Please log in to reply
2126 replies to this topic

#1481 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

That'll be productive and not at all annoying.

I think you know I was joking. I asked for a final sort of verdict on what to expect in two weeks, I got the answer and I shall now gladly shut up.

Edited by cpotisch, 07 February 2018 - 08:18 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#1482 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

At this point, do yall think there is any actual chance the LSL gets a diner by Feb. 21?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

No chance by Feb 21st.

Clues to when it would start. A deadhead move of a dinner to Chicago for the shop to get uptrained on the equipment. Sure they have been working on baggage cars for a bit. But rumor has it, the dinners have stuff inside of it that might need to be serviced by Chicago.

I sure hope not, given the crappy work that Chicago has been doing.  And one would think that if the rumor were true, then all diners will have to go to Chicago at some point for service.  I can't imagine anything that Chicago can do that Hialeah cannot.

#1483 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

Iirc Hialeah does the major work. Chicago would have to at least perform the maintainance that is required between trips. That's why some training would be needed.

#1484 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

At this point, do yall think there is any actual chance the LSL gets a diner by Feb. 21?

No chance by Feb 21st.

Clues to when it would start. A deadhead move of a dinner to Chicago for the shop to get uptrained on the equipment. Sure they have been working on baggage cars for a bit. But rumor has it, the dinners have stuff inside of it that might need to be serviced by Chicago.

I sure hope not, given the crappy work that Chicago has been doing.  And one would think that if the rumor were true, then all diners will have to go to Chicago at some point for service.  I can't imagine anything that Chicago can do that Hialeah cannot.

It's not about making Chicago a second maintenance base for the Viewliners, but to provide them the training and parts needed to fix something that needs to be fixed in order to get a car back in service.  If the Lake Shore arrives in Chicago with a diner that has HVAC issues, or a power problem, or whatever, they either fix it in Chicago or the return train does without a working diner.

#1485 tommylicious

tommylicious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

It's been a while since a VLII diner has been released.  Any idea what's up?

#1486 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,395 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

It's been a while since a VLII diner has been released.  Any idea what's up?

It hasn't even been a month since the last two left CAF on 1/16/18.

#1487 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

I was surprised to see Annapolis -8400 deadheading on 98-09 at Jacksonville (behind the baggage car). Lights were on but it was unoccupied. Is this in regular service now - perhaps headed to the Crescent?

#1488 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,120 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

I was surprised to see Annapolis -8400 deadheading on 98-09 at Jacksonville (behind the baggage car). Lights were on but it was unoccupied. Is this in regular service now - perhaps headed to the Crescent?

So, it was either 8400 - Indianapolis or 68001 - Annapolis.

Which one did you see?

#1489 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Both had entered revenue service a long time ago. 8400 isn't currently in service, however, so that's probably what you saw.

Edited by cpotisch, 13 February 2018 - 03:06 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#1490 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

Mady and Monty have left the building.
Nick

Coming up on the one month anniversary of the release of Madison/Montgomery from CAF. We can probably expect them out of Hialeah in a few days.

#1491 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Nick

Coming up on the one month anniversary of the release of Madison/Montgomery from CAF. We can probably expect them out of Hialeah in a few days.

Actually, Madison has been released and ready to go since the 9th.  It just doesn't really have anywhere to go so it is protecting in HIA.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#1492 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

Oh, wow! I take it Monty is still in the works, though?

#1493 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:10 PM

Nick

Actually, Madison has been released and ready to go since the 9th.  It just doesn't really have anywhere to go so it is protecting in HIA.

TR, Is it safe to say that Amtrak is releasing the diners in to protect service first and then placed on trains? 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#1494 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

Nick

TR, Is it safe to say that Amtrak is releasing the diners in to protect service first and then placed on trains? 

Obviously I'm not Thirdrail, but it seems that that's been the case for all the recent diners. But again, I'm most definitely not TR7.

#1495 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

Is Amtrak pooling a group plus protection units before say adding them to the LSL? I am not sure how many "extra" Diners are in the system ready to be used.

#1496 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Is Amtrak pooling a group plus protection units before say adding them to the LSL? I am not sure how many "extra" Diners are in the system ready to be used.

Including 8400, there are currently 14 Viewliner Diners. When Montgomery is done, it'll be 15. Eight are currently in use, so there are currently six protects.

#1497 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

With 6 protects, still not quite enough to outfit the LSL and have its protects.

#1498 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

With 6 protects, still not quite enough to outfit the LSL and have its protects.

Should be plenty. In theory, you shouldn’t need more than two or three for a fleet of that size. LSL requires three train sets, so that would still leave three spares.

Of course, while equipment availability may have been the reason the LSL lost its diner most recently, absent a recent announcement from Amtrak, I’m not convinced equipment availability is what’s holding back restoration of same.

#1499 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

Should be plenty. In theory, you shouldn’t need more than two or three for a fleet of that size. LSL requires three train sets, so that would still leave three spares.

Of course, while equipment availability may have been the reason the LSL lost its diner most recently, absent a recent announcement from Amtrak, I’m not convinced equipment availability is what’s holding back restoration of same.

Though If the reason is they have changed their minds and want to keep the current "diner-lite" setup, technically there is nothing forcing them to restore a full menu even with the Viewliner diners. I could see them putting the new cars on the LSL and Cardinal but keeping the same current menu. One way Amtrak could alter its diner operations is to use a diner-lite style menu at off peak times of the year and then offer a fuller menu at peak times that takes full advantage of the car's facilities. One could argue it makes sense for them to still replace the old rolling stock with the new Viewliner cars on those trains even if they don't want to resume a full Diner menu. This is of course just speculation, but they aren't necessarily forced to expand the menu immediately just by using the physical car on the train.

#1500 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

It’s been a while since I’ve been on either train (Cardina or LSL). Does the diner lite Amfleet car on those trains also serve as the cafe car, or is a separate car used? If it’s a separate car, then it could probably be replaced by a Viewliner, but as I recall, the current Viewliner configuration doesn’t really lend itself very well to being used as a cafe car because of the lack of a good counter space for passengers to walk up and order stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users