Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

• Please log in to reply
2008 replies to this topic

#2001 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

Based on the mockups I've seen, other than the toilet, differences are not huge.

I like the new color scheme.  The tables are much bigger and more functional.  There are more and better placed electrical outlets.

I was hoping the removal of the toilets would provide more floor space but I'm not sure that happened.  It's a bit tight for two people to move around.  Even better if the step could be flipped up.

#2002 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Based on the mockups I've seen, other than the toilet, differences are not huge.

The tables are much bigger and more functional.  There are more and better placed electrical outlets.

I don't think the tables are much bigger, and we're not getting any extra outlets. They've always had two.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#2003 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

since the toilet lid served as the step up to the upper bunk, or luggage storage the "box structure" still needs to be there. a flip up would be possible, but a more difficult design

• cpotisch likes this

#2004 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

I guess when this happens, we will have to upgrade to a bedroom to get a toilet in the room for the middle of the night necessaries.

#2005 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 AM

I guess when this happens, we will have to upgrade to a bedroom to get a toilet in the room for the middle of the night necessaries.

It certainly is going to widen the gap between roomette and bedroom. Once the V-IIs come along, perhaps the sentiment about Viewliners in the "Bedroom or roomette, if single and the cost is not an issue?" thread might change.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#2006 CHvision

CHvision

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:31 PM

I heard Viewliner I 8400 is in Chicago, will it be used for dining service on regular long distance routes in the future like LSL or Cardinal? 

#2007 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:37 PM

I heard Viewliner I 8400 is in Chicago, will it be used for dining service on regular long distance routes in the future like LSL or Cardinal? 

I imagine if they need a diner, they'll put it into service. However, if they have enough V-II diners, they might as well use those instead of 8400. Remember that though the Cardinal doesn't use ViewDiners, the LSL does, and it's entirely possible that 8400 will end up on the latter under the current system.

#2008 bcanedy

bcanedy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

I spotted the 8400 in Chicago on the back of a train arriving from Carbondale. There were old baggage cars separating the 8400 from the Horizon Fleet coaches, so it’s safe to assume it was not in service.

#2009 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted Today, 06:46 AM

I spotted the 8400 in Chicago on the back of a train arriving from Carbondale. There were old baggage cars separating the 8400 from the Horizon Fleet coaches, so it’s safe to assume it was not in service.

Correct.  It's being used in axle count service.  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

amtrakpass