Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Anyone else want one of these???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

I was just wondering if there were any other members that want one of these...

https://youtu.be/zMR85G551p8

#2 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

I'll take one! :P

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

I wanted one until I saw how much they cost and how long it takes to design and build one. After that I was suddenly cured of my desire.  :lol:

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

I wanted one until I saw how much they cost and how long it takes to design and build one. After that I was suddenly cured of my desire.  :lol:

Oh; I'd like mine all assembled at delivery.  I hate --and have trouble with--assembling things. :D

#5 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'm suddenly very, very envious.  

Just need enough money, property, time, and then more money to make it happen.  

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

Those locos can cost at more than $10,000. They're cool, but considering what you can make in N scale at that price, I don't see how it's worth it.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#7 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:57 PM

I think a roughly 1/3 scale steam locomotive has more earnings potential and “glamour” factor than an equivalent n scale layout.

An update to this thread is that the railroad shown has shut down in advance of selling the land that it was hosted on.

Total costs for the construction of the locomotive itself was about $250,000
  • cpotisch likes this

#8 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

I was thinking more about some of those very unrealistic battery powered locos, that cost $10-15K, and don't offer anything special other than size. Like this uglyscale F-unit, which looks nothing like the original:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users