Carl Sandburg running Superliners? Business Class location?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
So I'm booking a trip down to Macomb, IL for two weeks from now and it looks like the Carl Sandburg is running with Superliners, since the coach seats have the buttons for choosing between upper or lower level. They are still offering business class. I know this line has occasionally run with Superliners but the only time it happened for me was back in the 90s when I was still a student at WIU, before the Sandburg or business class existed.

So where is business class when they run Superliners on this train? Still one-half of the lounge? I'm guessing they won't have the 2x1 seating but don't know for sure. I love that I'll get to ride a Superliner on this line, though I'm guessing I'm giving up my wide seat as a trade-off.

Huh? That baffles me honestly, as the only Superliner business class accommodations out there are on the Auto Train & the Starlight.

They have a coach with business class on the lower level and the seats are literally the same as the coach seats with 2X2 across configuration, but the difference is that they use faux leather upholstery.

Huh? That baffles me honestly, as the only Superliner business class accommodations out there are on the Auto Train & the Starlight.

They have a coach with business class on the lower level and the seats are literally the same as the coach seats with 2X2 across configuration, but the difference is that they use faux leather upholstery.
Actually the starlight is now using a full coach as business class.

Actually the starlight is now using a full coach as business class.
Ah interesting! I guess it was a similar response to the popularity of the service as we saw a few years ago with the Pennsylvanian losing its more intimate 2X1 business class/cafe car in favor of a less comfortable full-length Northeast Regional business class car.

So now the Starlight BC passengers just pay the surcharge for a coach seat with less foot-traffic and PPC access?

After a little bit of searching I found a an item from last year when they ran Superliners on the Sandburg that mentions they have the BC in one half of the upper level of the lounge.

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/3-illinois-corridor-trains-using-superliners/

So now the Starlight BC passengers just pay the surcharge for a coach seat with less foot-traffic and PPC access?
Not even PPC. Only less-crowded coach, and wi-fi access (which, if you were to go by the reaction of some folks when I was on Starlight recently, is a life-and-death level important feature!)

BC passengers can visit PPC for wine tasting, but I as a measly coach class peasant also managed to get that access. It is not announced explicitly but if you just confidently walk to the PPC and nicely ask the attendant/bartender if you can attend the wine tasting by paying $7.50, chances are they will let you in. I didn't care for the wine, basically spent $7.50 to get a nice 1.5 hour ride in the PPC in the evening :)

Regarding CS and PCC access. Riding NB a few days after Thanksgiving, I heard the PPC announce just before lunch that business and coach passengers were invited to the car for beverage service. I looked in and there were a bunch of people getting drinks and heading back. They had the wine tasting later that day so it had me puzzled. Perhaps the holidays. It was my first time with the PPC so I didn't know if that was normal.

Regarding CS and PCC access. Riding NB a few days after Thanksgiving, I heard the PPC announce just before lunch that business and coach passengers were invited to the car for beverage service. I looked in and there were a bunch of people getting drinks and heading back. They had the wine tasting later that day so it had me puzzled. Perhaps the holidays. It was my first time with the PPC so I didn't know if that was normal.
In my experience not normal at all. Perhaps there was a problem with beverage service in the cafe car?

After a little bit of searching I found a an item from last year when they ran Superliners on the Sandburg that mentions they have the BC in one half of the upper level of the lounge.

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/3-illinois-corridor-trains-using-superliners/
If true, then how does one who is physically challenged ride in business class. Sorta relates to observations on the "Improve Amtrak" discussion.

Could you tell me a little bit about this lounge? The only superliner lounge I'm familiar with is the sightseer lounge with lounge chairs on one end and tables on the other. Is this a regular SL coach with a cafe downstairs instead of lower level seating? If so, is the seat pitch the same as regular SL coaches?

The link also states

In the meantime, Amtrak has discontinued business class service on the quad-weekly Chicago-Indianapolis Hoosier State. Also disconnected was AmtrakConnect® Wi-Fi. Light refreshments are not longer available on Nos. 850 and 851.
In a service advisory, Amtrak said those services, which were made available on the Hoosier State last October have been removed because the Indiana Department of Transportation has chosen not to fund their continuation.
It looked like all good things have come to and end. But searching AU for "Hoosier", the most recent hit was a review of BC in the Iowa Pacific dome dated 11/21/16. So I went back to the link; and way down at the bottom it says it was posted February 17, 2015.

So is the statement about the cafe/lounge on the CS (no not Coast Starlight) also obsolete?

The link also states

In the meantime, Amtrak has discontinued business class service on the quad-weekly Chicago-Indianapolis Hoosier State. Also disconnected was AmtrakConnect® Wi-Fi. Light refreshments are not longer available on Nos. 850 and 851.
In a service advisory, Amtrak said those services, which were made available on the Hoosier State last October have been removed because the Indiana Department of Transportation has chosen not to fund their continuation.
It looked like all good things have come to and end. But searching AU for "Hoosier", the most recent hit was a review of BC in the Iowa Pacific dome dated 11/21/16. So I went back to the link; and way down at the bottom it says it was posted February 17, 2015.

So is the statement about the cafe/lounge on the CS (no not Coast Starlight) also obsolete?
Yeah, it's an old post but I was just referencing it to how they ran the Sandburg on another occasion they were running with Superliners, I'm just guessing it would be run the same way, no way of knowing for sure. I've also never seen a seat configuration on the Superliner Lounge like they describe. Don't know if the seat pitch will be better than coach or not. Will find out in a couple of weeks I guess.

Most likely a Superliner Snack Coach (35000 series), not a Sightseer Lounge.
Interesting. I've never seen one of those.
These are a regular on the Heartland Flyer. The lower seating area has been gutted and replaced with a snack service area. As you walk in, there is a bench type seat on either side of the car and at the end of the area is the snack counter. The attendant is behind the counter, along with a large fridge and a microwave and a shelf and cabinets for the goodies. While you can sit on one of the benches and eat your purchases, it is more comfortable to go back to your seat. The restroom end of the lower level is the same as the Standard or Bag Coach.

At least one 35000 series snack coach has business class on one half of the car - it's used on the Pere Marquette.

At least one 35000 series snack coach has business class on one half of the car - it's used on the Pere Marquette.
Sounds like that could be the answer to my question. Do you know if the business class seats are different than coach seats (pitch, width?) or the same?

Sounds like that could be the answer to my question. Do you know if the business class seats are different than coach seats (pitch, width?) or the same?
I was interested in the same question. But it wasn't so much whether the snack coach's BC seats are different from its regular coach seats. It was whether the snack coach seats are different from regular SL coach seats. If not, then you can't get much longer pitch than that.

Incidentally, amtrak.com is now showing BC seats available two weeks out on the CS. I'm not surprised since the weather around here has turned colder, but nothing the horizons can't handle.

I was interested in the same question. But it wasn't so much whether the snack coach's BC seats are different from its regular coach seats. It was whether the snack coach seats are different from regular SL coach seats. If not, then you can't get much longer pitch than that.

Incidentally, amtrak.com is now showing BC seats available two weeks out on the CS. I'm not surprised since the weather around here has turned colder, but nothing the horizons can't handle.
I am curious why the equipment change. The IL Zephyr is not showing upper or lower coach options so it doesn't appear there's a change in that equipment.

Snow and cold in the Midwest causes freeze ups on Horizon cars. That's why they belong on the upcoming Gulf Coast service and in warmer climates, in general.

Snow and cold in the Midwest causes freeze ups on Horizon cars. That's why they belong on the upcoming Gulf Coast service and in warmer climates, in general.
Right, but doesn't the IL Zephyr also have Horizons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back