#21 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,983 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

I could think of several reasons Private Cars wouldn't work. One the highest sleeping car number I think is 24 passengers most are lower. Each car has a different charter price some are as low as 1,000 a day some are upwards of 5,000 a day. If you want to charter coaches there aren't many single level coaches I can think of five off hat that are certified. Plus each car is different interior, and furnishings. So some people who get a coach ticket in say St Augustine will end up smelling that funky smell in the Exploded smerth. While someone who gets an IP coach gets something similar to a long distance coach on Amtrak.
Plus you would have to get a train manager to get everyone together I could think of three qualified people who could do that fairly easy.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1480879842.436707.jpg
That is the locomotive guide for PVs with train length restrictions for the CZ.

I would really love to see slightly more of that guide because I've been very curious about the current train length restrictions at different stations (for instance, on the LSL route...)  But I don't know where to get a copy of it, is it available AARPCO members only?  :-(

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#22 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

I would hate to be a "stray" pax on this run; several years ago I had to last minute book a hotel in Kansas City to crew an airshow flight and the closest hotel to the Downtown Airport was over run with a Gamer Convention; it was a night of terror with them running up and down the hallways and playing games in every square inch of public space.

#23 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

Having been that "stray," all the TrainJam folks were pretty cool. The organizers put signs on about 1/3 of the tables in the lounge car saying "NO TRAIN JAMMERS." I think the organizers were pretty good at respecting the non-participant travelers, and making sure that the participants did as well. The participants were all eager to talk about their game ideas, where they were from, etc.

I recall one time in the lounge that one of the game noises was bothering me, and they didn't make an issue out of putting on their headphones. No late night shenanigans, no drunk escapades. Keep in mind, the TrainJam folks aren't doing this to play games, they are doing it to make them. So there is a lot of focused effort.

The diner DID run out of veggie burgers pretty early in the trip, and as noted on one of the photo captions the cafe car was cleaned out by Reno.

I gave some serious thought to booking on this trip in 2017 - either direct with Amtrak or via TranJam - just because it was just a neat group of people and a very cool vibe on the train.

#24 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

....and at the 1 hour and 28 minute mark, all of our public sale tickets are gone!

Tickets when on sale for Train Jam 2017 on November 28th.

Best bet is book way before Train Jam does. Getting it from them is going to be hard. Also they use all bunks up, so no solo travel.

#25 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

The lack of surge fleet cars is going to be an ongoing problem. Now if the new administration would get funds to rebuild what equipment that is wrecked then that would start but probably they would immediately be absorbed into present high travel periods much as happened in the 2009 - 2010 period.

If Amtrak is going to run out of food on this trip maybe they can put a cold storage frig in the Baggage car with extra food ?

Edited by west point, 04 December 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#26 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:16 AM

I could think of several reasons Private Cars wouldn't work. One the highest sleeping car number I think is 24 passengers most are lower. Each car has a different charter price some are as low as 1,000 a day some are upwards of 5,000 a day. If you want to charter coaches there aren't many single level coaches I can think of five off hat that are certified. Plus each car is different interior, and furnishings. So some people who get a coach ticket in say St Augustine will end up smelling that funky smell in the Exploded smerth. While someone who gets an IP coach gets something similar to a long distance coach on Amtrak.
Plus you would have to get a train manager to get everyone together I could think of three qualified people who could do that fairly easy.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1480879842.436707.jpg
That is the locomotive guide for PVs with train length restrictions for the CZ.

I would really love to see slightly more of that guide because I've been very curious about the current train length restrictions at different stations (for instance, on the LSL route...)  But I don't know where to get a copy of it, is it available AARPCO members only?  :-(
It's only for AAPRCO members which I am one. If you shoot me a PM. I'm more then happy to send you a copy. And any other info you might be interested in. I'll see if I have access to.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#27 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

What train length restrictions? Amtrak LD trains like the CZ routinely do double stops. And triple stops are common at the Truckee, California station.

#28 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

didnt the trains used to be far longer when they carried mail?

#29 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

didnt the trains used to be far longer when they carried mail?

Yes they were much longer, but the restrictions in place are for stations that have been modified since that time and no longer can accommodate the longer trains.

#30 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Or for stations that were built after Amtrak assumed passenger operations. Another thing to remember too Mail and express was handled ahead of the engines in the pre Amtrak days. And engines don't need to be on the platform. And when Amtrak did them the cars were only switched out at longer stops. So again they didn't need to be on the platform.

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

#31 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

It looks like they do intend to add another lounge for the trip.

I hope these guys make it through.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#32 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

Follow along on the Twitters!

https://twitter.com/IndieTrainJam

#33 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:49 AM

I think that they should think about getting a private car or two for their convention. In full disclosure I'm a PV person so if they charter I make money.

#34 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

Is there any of the Dorm Coach Transition Cars even on the road?

It's February Amtrak has equipment sitting around, no real reason not to use. The only advantage would be a PV with a generator set.

#35 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Most PVs have a generator. And in some cases we've been forced to use them for extended periods of time

#36 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

It's February Amtrak has equipment sitting around, no real reason not to use. The only advantage would be a PV with a generator set.

As I suspected, they used a full consist and treated it just like 830.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#37 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

Just for fun...

Attached File  2017-02-24_00-16-50.png   95.02KB   24 downloads

#38 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:47 AM

So in other words....it's quite possible that they negotiated exclusive use of the train, much against what everyone earlier was thinking apparently since many called Amtrak out on not adding additional cars.

As TR said, hopefully they make it through.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#39 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:07 AM

So in other words....it's quite possible that they negotiated exclusive use of the train, much against what everyone earlier was thinking apparently since many called Amtrak out on not adding additional cars.

As TR said, hopefully they make it through.

Much like the same manner as the Safety Patrol Special. What else would you expect. It's a big group going to a big conference, just like the Safety Patrol Special is comprised of a big group going to a big trip. What I mean by a big group, is that the train was full of people from the group.

Train 6 is extremely late as of the time that Train2104 posted the snapshot of the status map, possibly due to the fallout and being goobered up in Donner Pass.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.
Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail
Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9
Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC
Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#40 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

There are 3 late eastbound CZ's currently on the road. The one furthest east near Omaha is running 19 hours late. A second near Winter Park, CO is running 9 hours late. And a third near winnemucca, NV is running 4 hrs late.

Trainjam is on time running westbound in Nebraska and is forecast to arrive at its final destination of Emeryville, CA one hour early on Saturday afternoon.

Edited by chakk, 24 February 2017 - 03:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users