Ice Cream Replaced With Warm Date Pudding?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
Browsing through Amtrak Food Facts, it looks like the ice cream is no longer listed and replaced with the "Signature Warm Date Pudding"? Can anyone confirm if the ice cream bite the dust or not?

Can confirm it wasn't available this week on multiple Long Distance trains. One of the diner staff mentioned he thought it was the over all complaints of the new blue bunny ice cream that made them drop it for now.

Can confirm it wasn't available this week on multiple Long Distance trains. One of the diner staff mentioned he thought it was the over all complaints of the new blue bunny ice cream that made them drop it for now.
Good riddance to getting rid of the blue bunny ice cream. I bought that garbage at Walmart one time and it is the only ice cream I've thrown away. So what happened to Chao and Haggen Daz? Did palms not get greased enough in Washington?

Well it is almost winter. Let's see what they offer next summer.
What does winter have anything to do with serving ice cream?
Some people don't like to eat cold food when it's cold. I'm not one of them but I don't like eating soup when it's hot.

I've never heard of date pudding. They couldn't find chocolate, banana, vanilla, rice, etc? I remember seeing no sugar added vanilla pudding.

I had a scoop of vanilla ice cream, served in a dish with a strawberry garnish, for dessert on the Capitol Ltd. heading to Chicago on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016.

I was offered a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert at dinner on the Capitol Ltd. heading to D.C. on Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016, but opted for the chocolate tart instead.

The reports of the death of ice cream in the dining car seem exaggerated from where I sit/sat.

No ice cream on the TE over Thanksgiving. But if they were serving Blue Bunny, meh, no great loss. (I liked the blood orange sorbet they used to have, I think it was Chao?)

I tried the date pudding. I liked it but it is EXTREMELY sweet and also, whoa, the calories. (I got the lava cake coming back., It was okay, but I think I like the Greek yogurt cheesecake better. The caramel filling on the lava cake had a weird aftertaste, like canned milk.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blue Bunny was served on 30 last week. That's the kind not in a cup and not hand dipped either, right?
Correct. It comes in a scoop size in a bag and the dining car staff puts it in a bowl.
Sometimes they just leave it in the Blue Bunny Bag as-is.

Bon appétit...

post-3930-0-02395100-1462220823.jpg

Some people don't like to eat cold food when it's cold. I'm not one of them but I don't like eating soup when it's hot.
Oddly enough Amtrak can actually be super hot in the winter when they leave the heaters on the Sahara setting. It may seem counterintuitive but if you eat a hot and spicy soup in a hot environment it can help you feel cooler when you're done. That being said I've never seen soup of any sort on Amtrak's LD network. My own personal quirk is that I do not like to combine hot drinks with hot food or cold drinks with cold food.

In late August, I had H-D at DC Union Station before catching the Crescent and then Blue Bunny in the dining car. The latter was quite acceptable, to my surprise.

They were listing Blue Bunny on the menu at the same price as H-D. I suspect that may have led to fewer sales. It looks like the pudding is now cheaper on the updated menu ($2.75 versus $4.50).

Or it could be a seasonal rotation.

I had a scoop of vanilla ice cream, served in a dish with a strawberry garnish, for dessert on the Capitol Ltd. heading to Chicago on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016.

I was offered a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert at dinner on the Capitol Ltd. heading to D.C. on Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016, but opted for the chocolate tart instead.

The reports of the death of ice cream in the dining car seem exaggerated from where I sit/sat.
It looks like the new menu's are up as well, and they do not list the ice cream on the menu so the death of the ice cream is not exaggerated. I also noticed, that the desserts on all trains are not consistent. Not sure if some menu's just have not been updated yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've never heard of date pudding. They couldn't find chocolate, banana, vanilla, rice, etc? I remember seeing no sugar added vanilla pudding.
The "pudding" here is the British type of cake make from a batter. The sugar free American style "pudding" is still on the menu.

"Warm Date" sounds like an irrisistable invitation to make a joke...

I am certainly looking for a "Hot Date", and a Hot Date pudding sounds, well.. ;)

Bon Appetite!

Ed.

I, too, question the wisdom of selecting "date". Seems Amtrak went from one extreme, a very "beige" type of flavor like vanilla, to the other extreme, a very "hot pink" type of flavor like that of a palm date.

Good riddance to getting rid of the blue bunny ice cream. I bought that garbage at Walmart one time and it is the only ice cream I've thrown away. So what happened to Chao and Haggen Daz? Did palms not get greased enough in Washington?
So, Amtrak's solution to customers not liking their replacing Haggen Daz ice cream, with Blue Bunny ice cream, was to dump both and offer in their place, some crap called warm date pudding?

While we were not blown over with Blue Bunny ice cream, it was certainly acceptable on our Crescent trip last summer. Hate to see all ice cream go away.

So, Amtrak's solution to customers not liking their replacing Haggen Daz ice cream, with Blue Bunny ice cream, was to dump both and offer in their place, some crap called warm date pudding?
I honestly thought the Haagen-Dazs ice cream cups were fine but I didn't truly miss them until after trying the Blue Bunny cool whip ball nonsense.

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla: Cream, Skim Milk, Cane Sugar, Egg Yolks, Vanilla Extract.

Blue Bunny Vanilla: Milk, Skim Milk, Cream, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Vanilla Extract, Artificial Flavor, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Mono & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Annatto.

Back