Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Expanding the Amtrak Route Map

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Our Cardinal haters best think again the August ridership of Cardinal multiplied by 7/3 would exceed Capitol, Crescent, CNO.

The Capitol Limited is actually the "sick man of the East", the worst-peforming train east of the Mississippi financially speaking.    The Cardinal is more financially successful than the Capitol Limited now and would be much more successful if daily.

The Capitol Limited - Pennsylvanian through cars need to happen sooner, not later; the DC-Pittsburgh leg is weak compared to Philadelphia-Chicago demand.  The CL should probably switch entirely to single-level cars and be reborn as the Broadway Limited, with a lower-capacity branch extending from Pittsburgh to DC like the Albany-Boston branch of the LSL.

Edited by neroden, 25 October 2017 - 02:01 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#102 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Because the Cap is a weaker train one tends to get the lowest fares on it. But it is a favorite for Amtrak staff for their commute from HQ to Chicago apparently. :)

#103 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

Our Cardinal haters best think again the August ridership of Cardinal multiplied by 7/3 would exceed Capitol, Crescent, CNO.

The CL should probably switch entirely to single-level cars and be reborn as the Broadway Limited, with a lower-capacity branch extending from Pittsburgh to DC like the Albany-Boston branch of the LSL.

If we want to switch the Capitol Ltd to single-level cars, and send that Superliner equipment out West, somebody needs to start working with CAF. Won't we need more Viewliner diners and more Viewliner sleepers to make that switch?  (And of course, we'll need lots more single-level coaches and lounges, too, of course.)

#104 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

The CL should probably switch entirely to single-level cars and be reborn as the Broadway Limited, with a lower-capacity branch extending from Pittsburgh to DC like the Albany-Boston branch of the LSL.

If we want to switch the Capitol Ltd to single-level cars, and send that Superliner equipment out West, somebody needs to start working with CAF. Won't we need more Viewliner diners and more Viewliner sleepers to make that switch?  (And of course, we'll need lots more single-level coaches and lounges, too, of course.)

I know how we can get some spare Viewliner diners and sleepers!

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#105 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

Why are you arguing against ordering more equipment for Amtrak?

#106 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

I'm not.

I'm saying if we want something and we don't have the equipment to get it there are two ways to get the equipment...

A) Beg for the money like we've had the last 46 years and we know what the track record has been doing so. If you can get the equipment to get the through cars running, more power to you.

B) Get the equipment by, well you know what I'm going to say by now.

One costs us X amount of money and X amount of equipment, one uses the money and equipment we're spending now and how much are we really losing? The 5 people from Thurmond, WV?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#107 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

Oh no, the Cardinal Killer strikes again!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#108 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

Oh no, the Cardinal Killer strikes again!

A Halloween costume? Dressing as a cannibal?

#109 capltd29

capltd29

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Trains, Aviation

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

I'm not.

I'm saying if we want something and we don't have the equipment to get it there are two ways to get the equipment...

A) Beg for the money like we've had the last 46 years and we know what the track record has been doing so. If you can get the equipment to get the through cars running, more power to you.

B) Get the equipment by, well you know what I'm going to say by now.

One costs us X amount of money and X amount of equipment, one uses the money and equipment we're spending now and how much are we really losing? The 5 people from Thurmond, WV?

Its a little harder for the "5 people" in Thurmond, WV to fly to Chicago. You can get a lot of direct flights from Philadelphia to Chicago. I've done it several times.

not rich enough for a tax cut...

#110 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

And you know what the rest of us are going to say too I suppose. And so the world goes around one more time and a thread gets fruitlessly longer in AU

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#111 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

We'd sacrifice a stop that had 100 times more riders than population a few years ago. I can't think of any other stop that can make that claim. If anyone deserves a stop, its them!  ^_^

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users