46 replies to this topic

#41 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

I'm a recent convert, but am an Uber fan. In my limited experience with Uber, it's cleaner, faster, safer, and more convenient. Used I extnsively in Chicago, Birmingham, and OKC so far. Love it. Have not yet tried Lyft, probably should. Heck, just the simple fact that Austin bans it, tells me it's probably a better product at a lower price. Austin just hates capitalistic free market enterprise.

Edited by Shortline, 08 January 2017 - 09:57 PM.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#42 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

Heck, just the simple fact that Austin bans it, tells me it's probably a better product at a lower price. Austin just hates capitalistic free market enterprise.

Austin never banned Uber or Lyft.  In fact Uber and Lfyt can still return to Austin and probably will again in the future.  Uber and Lyft didn't agree with Austin's new rules about more invasive background checks for drivers and took their concerns to the voters.  Rightly or wrongly when the votes were counted Uber and Lyft had lost.  Rather than comply with the new rules they simply picked up and left town.  Which is their right of course, but all things considered it sounds as though the bulk of your disagreement is with the concept of democracy rather than with the city of Austin.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#43 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Exactly. The city of Austin demographics chased it out, due to unnecessary and overly burdensome regulations on a business model that provided more efficient service at lower cost. Follow the money-Why was this issue brought for a vote in the first place? Austin is quickly becoming the California of Texas. But, you're exactly right, democracy in action. Surprises me frankly, as progressive as Austin is, I really expected the younger demographic to embrace the new model, and technology. But that's cool, smelly cabs, and a commuter train that only runs part time is fine for them. So be it.  

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#44 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

The vast majority of anti-Uber/Lyft pushback across the country and the rest of the world has come not from concerned voters but from city councils honoring the wishes of representatives of conventional taxi interests.  Following the money leads you to taxi companies which stand to lose lots of entrenched council-sanctioned revenue by being augmented or replaced by competition from ride sharing services.  Voters didn't make a single dime from refusing to reverse the new driver security rules. 

The ride sharing services made the erroneous assumption that Austin would be a good place to make their big stand and reverse the trend of increasing security regulation in response to rapes and other violent behavior.  That turned out to be an erroneous assessment of the situation.  Austin residents used and enjoyed ride sharing services but they weren't married to a specific company and were willing to risk angering or even losing Uber and Lyft in order to ensure stronger background checks from other ride sharing services in the future. 

Your claim that a major city which has only known capitalism simultaneously hates capitalism is both illogical and irrational.  In fact most of the people I know who live in or around Austin are only slightly less enthusiastic than the rest of the hyper-capitalistic state in which they reside.  When singing the praises of free markets you might want to keep in mind that some of the freest markets in the world are located in places like Nigeria and Somalia.  If that's the kind of market you favor over Austin then I honestly don't know what to say.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 09 January 2017 - 12:55 AM.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#45 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

If nothing else, you're still amusing.

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,510 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

If nothing else, you're still amusing.

Ran out of arguments, eh? :P

#47 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,749 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Shortline:

There are now Six Ride Share Companies and Four Chartered Taxi Companies serving Austin ( the Home of Alex Jones!) and Uber and Lyft are operating in the Metro Area around Austin.

Thus it seems that there is plenty of money to be made in the People's Republic of Austin which now has the highest per capita income in Texas and governments that are strongly pro business.

Amusing even if it doesn't fit the Right Wing/Fox Model that equates Austin with California and Cuba eh?!!!😒😁
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users