Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Fort Lauderdale...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:45 AM

Hi Folks,

Norweigan Air offer a cheap flight from London to FLL airport, which is one airport I know nothing about.

It seems quite appealing to leave the winter behind in UK just now, and arrive in Florida... :)

Has anyone any knowledge or tips of how to connect from the airport to Miami or Amtrak?  I am imagining staying at an airport or nearby hotel for the first night, then heading off.

Thanks in advance!

Ed. 

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,954 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:02 AM

For both, unless I can locate a shuttle that goes to the TriRail station, I would take a taxi from the airport to the Fort Lauderdale TriRail/Amtrak station. It really is not that far. To go to Miami take TriRail which offers at least hourly service most of the day and goes to the Multimodal Center at Miami International Airport, connecting there with the Metro. Both the Silver Service Amtrak trains stop at Fort Lauderdale to pick up northbound passenger and drop off those arriving from the north.

Edited by jis, 17 November 2016 - 07:07 AM.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,158 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

Since you seem to indicate you're not wanting to explore Miami,just spend a night before heading out on Amtrak, most of the hotels around the Miami Airport are cheaper "in Season" and will pick you up in their shuttle Eddie.

And as jis said, you can then take a cab or Uber/Lyft to the TriRail/Amtrak Station in the morning.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:54 AM

Thanks to both for that info. One "ambition" would be to go by Greyhound from Miami to Key West. I have visited Miami city itself before. Having spotted the cheaper flight, I am now looking to see what can be "built" into any proposed trip...

As always, I want to globe trott on peanuts!

Cheers,

Ed.

#5 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Thanks to both for that info. One "ambition" would be to go by Greyhound from Miami to Key West. I have visited Miami city itself before. Having spotted the cheaper flight, I am now looking to see what can be "built" into any proposed trip...

As always, I want to globe trott on peanuts!

Cheers,

Ed.

A number of tour companies provide Miami - Key West day trips.  I found the tour we took on TripAdvisor.  Cost was about $75, standard touring motorcoach picks you up from your hotel at the crack of dawn and gets you to Key west by about 9 or 10 AM. Pickup for return is about 5:30 PM, and you get back to Miami about 9 PM.  On the way out, there's a breakfast stop at the end of the Turnpike in Homestead.  I think you can stay overnight, you just arrange to return on a bus on a subsequent day.  They'll sell you discounted activity tickets, such as a ride on the tour "trolley" or a snorkeling trip out to the reef, etc.  It wasn't a bad trip, but I think I would have preferred to drive down and stop and see some other things in the Keys along the way.  On the other hand, the traffic on the Overseas Highway (US 1) was pretty heavy, and it was nice to leave the driving to someone else.

#6 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for that Key West info. I did check the Greyhound schedules, and a day trip was possible, but an earlier start and more time at Key West by tour bus seems a better option.

Cheers,

Ed.

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,954 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

Don't miss the remnants of the Bahia Honda FEC bridge on your left headed to Key West, and the remnants of the Seven Mile Bridge of FEC on the right headed towards Key West.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users