Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Northeast Regional Norfolk, VA service

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

If your splitting a train just do it in WUS. It just makes more sense as there are already switch crews, and infrastructure there. So it's not horrible.
As far as why trains are timed out of VA it's about operation constraints on the corridor itself.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#22 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

What was said on WAS is basically true.  You might be able to get CSX to be slightly more cooperative if you had trains "chasing" one another out of WAS.

With that said, I'm not opposed to splitting a few trains at RVR: NFK-RVM and NPN-RVM are both significant, potentially viable markets but the clunky nature of the NFK-NPN bus undermines viability.  I've been hoping for a rush hour-ish train cycle on the route for a while as well, largely because I know there are James City County/Williamsburg commuters, and if it takes splitting a train or two to cover both sides of the water then so be it.

This is especially since I do not expect that business out of NFK will rise to the sheer volume of that from NPN/WBG anytime soon...for reference, those two have generally hovered between 160-180k pax with no functional commuter market.  Adding a commuter-capable round-trip between those stations (and potentially adding a stop out at Norge/Toano) would probably be worth a decent pile of passengers.  The problem is that the slot in question north of WAS belongs to the Lynchburger, but if you had the "new" train come in a few minutes earlier on the timetable you could very likely guarantee a cross-platform connection.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#23 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

Adding a commuter-capable round-trip between those stations (and potentially adding a stop out at Norge/Toano) would probably be worth a decent pile of passengers.  The problem is that the slot in question north of WAS belongs to the Lynchburger, but if you had the "new" train come in a few minutes earlier on the timetable you could very likely guarantee a cross-platform connection.

I think that's what drives my thinking: while a single-seat trip north of Richmond is preferable, I think given the choice between one single-seat trip per day, and multiple trips with a connection in Richmond, I'd take the later. This leverages the already existing and slotted traffic from DC to Richmond (which I think is six more trains northbound). The idea of being able to find a commuter market within Norfolk <> Williamsburg <> Richmond <> points west is interesting. 

But, as I said before, it's all probably pie in the sky. Sadly.

#24 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

The only reason for the combination / splits south of WASH proposal is the Long bridge restrictions and inability to negotiate more passenger trains over the bridge. Once Long bridge is 4 tracked and the route from WASH <> south of Alexandria is also 4 track then each train would not need that very complicated expensive maneuver.

#25 mgl1978

mgl1978

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

In a perfect world would the VRE extend down to Richmond, and have trains from the Tidewater stop going north and instead continue west & southwest?

It seems like the reason for the obscenely early departures from Tidewater is to continue the train on to NYC at a reasonable hour. Shorter, more frequent trains Tidewater <> Richmond then gives more opportunity to connect in Richmond to EVERYTHING going north & south. Extending that service to Tidewater <> Richmond <> Charlottesville <> Lynchburg <> Roanoke gives the same opportunities for better north/south connections in Richmond, as well as tying all the population centers of the state (that aren't NVOA) together. It would also create a potentially better connection in Charlottesville to the Crescent and Cardinal. I might even suggest then that the Cardinal might make more sense terminating in Richmond than NYC.

That's as pie-in-the-sky as any other "What if..." thread, so I'll stand by it. I have no clue if the tracks are there to do it, or the capacity, or the whatever, or the ramifications of having to be a state-supported service.

But the more of these threads that I read, the more I feel like the best way to grow passenger rail service is more frequency on shorter distances and more connections to make a network.

If you're thinking pie-in-the-sky how about a tunnel south of Newport News following I-664 then connecting to the NS main to Norfolk. Then you can get more trains via Williamsburg.

#26 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

A bridge parallel to the James River Bridge was toyed with at one point; I've also wondered about a tunnel next to I-64 (using the old Phoebus subdivision, which is mostly intact, and a sub on the Norfolk side).

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users