51 replies to this topic

#41 Barciur

Barciur

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

In terms of the tickets I am interested in the way the tickets look like, the schedule I'd be satisfied with just text version ;) So whatever physical stuff you might have I'll be very interested in seeing! Especially the Ukrainian ticekt to Moscow which you will get in Kiev, but of course that will not come until later ;) Thanks and good luck!

#42 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

Now made most of the arrangements for our Trans Siberian train journey so have started a new thread with the build up and actuality of what happens, it's at  :-

The Accidental Round the World Trip

Thanks for all the input here, as always a great help

#43 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

Have a question for all those that have travelled on the Trans Sib ~ Ziv, Andy and Allen.

Tea is mentioned a lot and we are champion tea drinkers. Is there tea on board or should we bring it with us? and if it's on board is it black tea and is it loose or tea bags?

Part 2. Is it possible to get milk on board, can we say buy it from the restaurant or are there small sealed tubs available on the train or to buy in Moscow? If there's no milk available, did you all drink black tea?

Of course this is one of the more important aspects of this journey so hope someone can help us out.

Thanks

#44 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:46 AM

I drank black tea and whilst it was available at a price intermittently (when they came round with the trolley) I brought a box of tea bags with me from the UK along with some instant cappuccino sachets and cup a soups as there is free hot water available 24-7

Out east fresh Milk is hard to come by and I hate sterilised milk since returning I discovered 3 months free of lactose resulted in me losing my torrelence to diary products and I'm now lactose free

Edited by ScouseAndy, 14 February 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#45 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Andy. Did you see any form of milk available on the platforms or the train?

#46 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Maybe take with you a small amount of milk powder / coffee creamer?

Ed

#47 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

I would bring my own tea and packets of sugar. There were little kiosks with milk and stuff.

#48 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

The kiosks were at the larger city stops, not on the train. And I would bring dehydrated food too. The hot water from the samovar on each car is perfect for Ramen or dehydrated chili.

#49 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Ed, Rosie had milk powder in hand so we're covered for a while. We'll also be taking mucho Yorkshire teabags too certainly enough for a week or so on the train.

Good to hear that milk is sometimes available from kiosks, what do Russians use on cereals? Ruth is bringing dried noodles and stuff from Taiwan, sounds like we could have a party as I'm taking some French wine...  yes we are supposed to be travelling light.

Thanks again Ziv

#50 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

In the event that one of the Trans Sib riders reads this I'd like to ask a silly question, does the Rossiya have a train whistle?

For both of us the most evocative part of any Amtrak or US freight train is the whistle, whether we are on-board or driving near a rail line. Every time we start an Amtrak journey it's always hearing the first whistle that adds that bit of anticipation and excitement, that we really are on another Amtrak train.

So being curious I was wondering if there is a Russian version of the Amtrak whistle?

Edited by v v, 20 February 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#51 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

IIRC the train horn will sound to give notice of pending departure from stations but don't think this will give you time to run back to the platform, the notice given at times is hardly enough time for the steps to be raised and the doors secured so make sure you don't venture to far away from your carriage

#52 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

I think Russians use vodka instead of milk on their breakfast cereals, you can try wine I guess...  :D

Bon Voyage!

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users