Questions about Trains From Long Island City to Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
The only thing I know is that the hotel we'll be staying at has a shuttle to the station at 33rd and Rawson and it is Line #7. Is that station accessible? Will we have to transfer to get to Penn Station? How long is the trip? When we get to Penn Station, is there an elevator to get to the Amtrak waiting area?

I tried to find out on the LIRR site, but when I hit "submit", nothing happens. Possibly it is not working, or I'm doing something wrong in my search. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try google maps for transit directions, hold on for a bit, I will check on the routing for you...

EDIT: looks like non accessible at your starting station, and a transfer would be necessary. I would suggest getting on the R train at Queens Plaza, it is an accessible station and the R is a direct train passing through Penn Station.

Try google maps for transit directions, hold on for a bit, I will check on the routing for you...

EDIT: looks like non accessible at your starting station, and a transfer would be necessary. I would suggest getting on the R train at Queens Plaza, it is an accessible station and the R is a direct train passing through Penn Station.
R does not go to Penn Station. It passes through Herald Square on 6th Ave. one avenue block away from Penn Station.
You can change from R to 1/2/3 at Times Square to get to Penn Station. Both Times Square and the 1/2/3 Penn Station are accessible AFAIR.

Here's the official site of the NYC subway, with a trip planner on the homepage. Just type in your origin and destination and configure as appropriate. http://www.mta.info/

The subway map. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

The 7 train station at 33rd is not wheelchair accessible, but if you took the 7 it would be about a half hour to Penn (with transfer at Times Square, or walking from there to Penn.)

The best wheelchair accessible subway route would be to go to Queens Plaza station (E, M, R trains) and get the Manhattan-bound E to 34th St / Penn Station (stops on the Amtrak side of the station), or the Manhattan-bound M or R to 34th St / Herald Square (a 5-10 min walk from the Amtrak part of Penn). All three subway stations are wheelchair accessible.

Alternatively, you could take the Q32 bus directly from 33rd/Rawson to Penn, if you have a Metrocard or $2.75 in coins.

Penn Station is a bit of a zoo. Here are two maps of Penn Station that will hopefully answer your questions about where elevators, etc. are located.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/NYPENN_Directory.pdf

http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Tip: if you're taking the subway on a weekend, be aware of planned service changes, which are advertised on the MTA website under the aptly-named "Planned Service Changes" link.

R does not go to Penn Station. It passes through Herald Square on 6th Ave. one avenue block away from Penn Station.
You can change from R to 1/2/3 at Times Square to get to Penn Station. Both Times Square and the 1/2/3 Penn Station are accessible AFAIR.
My error, I misread the map I was looking at.

I don't think that's a cross platform transfer, which means you'll have to navigate the rat's maze of the Times Square station. Depending on the weather, it might be just as well to just get off at Herald Square and walk the block to Penn Station.

I don't think that's a cross platform transfer, which means you'll have to navigate the rat's maze of the Times Square station. Depending on the weather, it might be just as well to just get off at Herald Square and walk the block to Penn Station.
If taking the M or R, then yes, getting off at Herald Square and walking a block and a half is easier than transferring at Times Square. However, the E goes straight from Queens Plaza to Penn, so that's the easiest option.

I need to re-read everything above, but what it looks like is that I need to get to the Queens Plaza station and take the R train. Is that right?

Is Queens Plaza the same as Queensboro Plaza?

I don't know if the hotel shuttle will go there, but I'll find out.

I need to re-read everything above, but what it looks like is that I need to get to the Queens Plaza station and take the R train. Is that right?

Read City of Miami's post just above yours.

No take the E train straight to Penn Station (8th Ave.).
No. They are two different stations.

ze30a3Q.png

This is probably the advisory you're talking about. Since you are neither getting off nor on at Lexington Av/53 St, it's pretty obvious that this doesn't apply to you.

ze30a3Q.png

This is probably the advisory you're talking about. Since you are neither getting off nor on at Lexington Av/53 St, it's pretty obvious that this doesn't apply to you.
For all I know, Queens Plaza Station could be located at Lexington Av/53 St. Thanks for letting me know that's not where Queens Plaza Station is located.

The quickest of looks at the subway map would have answered your question. Queens Plaza is on the right, Lexington Av/53 St is two stops west of there. Penn Station is five more stops west of there on the E train.

eAgrcRR.png

The quickest of looks at the subway map would have answered your question. Queens Plaza is on the right, Lexington Av/53 St is two stops west of there. Penn Station is five more stops west of there on the E train.

eAgrcRR.png

eAgrcRR.png
Good close up. I have printed it out. Thanks.

I spent 12 years living in NYC. But I have to say: that map would intimidate the h..... out of any visitor! :)

Back