• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

In the U.S. there are plans to have exotic wheel-less trains in tubes traveling at hundreds of miles an hour!” the strip continues. That “exotic wheel-less train” looks pretty damn similar to the designs Musk first proposed back in 2013.

http://paleofuture.g...e-hy-1788488274

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#2 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

I seem to recall seeing the basic idea in several articles published in the 60's (one could even trace the basic concept back to Charles Beech's pneumatic railroad, which was actually built and operated - I think there was also a test or perhaps one put into operation in London, unless it was changed before construction).

Edited by Metra Electric Rider, 02 November 2016 - 05:10 PM.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#3 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

The problem I see with both plans is lack of capacity, the Japanese Shinkhasen (sorry about my spelling) can carry hundreds of people per train, the Acela:300, trains are a form of MASS transport, the hyper loop needs to carry more people, capacity is one of a trains advantages, and we need to utilize that as much as possible.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users