Splurging in San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief
It's been over a month since my vacation to San Francisco, but still I shall make a trip report. Since I worked all summer and did not have a chance to visit my family in Korea, I decided to spend my only vacation time (between the last week of my summer job and the start of the school year) in San Francisco. I essentially spent all my summer earnings for this trip.

My vacation essentially started on the evening of September 18th, around 8:30pm, when my taxi picked me up in front of my university apartment building and headed to the Klamath Falls Depot. The ride cost me 10 dollars, which was a good deal. My train, #11 (9/18) arrived about 30 minutes early, which was quite exceptional, because #14 (9/16) was late by about 3 or 4 hours into Seattle, which I believe it became #11 (9/18) (correct me if I am wrong about the CS turnaround at SEA). I got assigned a window seat at the middle part of the upper level coach car (just behind the stairs, which meant no seats right in front of mine). I went to the Cafe car and bought some light snack shortly after departure, and the train departed on time. I spent the next two hours at the Sightseer Lounge, having my late night snack and chatting with other travelers, in which some were from foreign countries. One topic of discussion was about rail system of other countries.

On the morning of the 19th, I awoke shortly before Sacramento, and I got a chance to step off for a few minutes. Shortly departing Sacramento, I had breakfast in the Dining Car, in which I ordered Scrambled Eggs with a side of a pair of sausage patties, and a cup of coffee. After breakfast, I got a chance to view the scenery of the Northeast Bay, until I arrived at Emeryville station. Shortly after getting off, I headed to board the Ambus to San Francisco. The ride along I-80 and the Bay Bridge was akin to a breeze, but as soon as my Ambus left I-80 and joined the surface streets, there was a gridlock. After getting off, I headed to Pier 33 on the E Line streetcar to pick up my CityPass and Alcatraz Cruises tickets, and then boarded the F Line streetcar to Embarcadero station, where I would board Muni Metro N Judah for Ocean Beach (in which I had to wait a bit for it). The ride on the Muni Metro took upwards of an hour, but I eventually made it to my destination. I dropped my bags off at the hotel that I would check in later that day, but it was too early to check in, and the empty hotel rooms were having the furnitures swapped to newer ones. In the meantime, I went to the California Academy of Sciences by way of taking N Judah then walking from the Muni Metro station and walking through the Golden Gate Park. After some time at the Academy of Sciences, headed back to the hotel to check myself in. My rate was about $160 plus taxes, and ended up paying about $550 in total (I stayed there for three nights). The rates were high due to a convention of some sort being held in San Francisco the same week I was there. After settling down, went to the Golden Gate Bridge and walked the bridge all the way to Marin County vista point, and I took the cab back to San Francisco. Then I went to have dinner at Sutro's at the Cliff House, where I had a steak, a glass of Napa Valley red wine (na zdravi), a glass of Pepsi, and a few glasses of water. After dinner I made my way back to the hotel by walking down the hill and taking a Muni bus at a nearby bus stop, and then walked again after getting off the bus.

On the 20th, had breakfast at the hotel and started my adventure with checking out Ocean Beach, which is a short walk from my hotel, just across the street on the other side of the Great Highway. I only walked on the sand and did not put my feet in the water, because I have been told that there are risks of rip tides and that water is cold. After that, went to the De Young Museum, just across the street from the Academy of Sciences. I visited all the exhibits covered by my admission, including the observation tower. After De Young Museum, went to the Legion of Honor. Afterwards, headed to downtown San Francisco, where I eventually rode the cable car to Chinatown at Jackson Street, then walked around Chinatown, and eventually all the way to Columbus Avenue. Had dinner at a Chinese Restaurant, then toured Chinatown a bit more, and afterwards headed towards Bush Street at Grant Avenue, where the Chinatown Gate is located. I was planning to take the cable car to Powell, but the cable cars stopped running by then, so I took the bus instead. At Powell Street, took the Muni Metro back to Ocean Beach.

On the 21st, after breakfast, I again took N Judah towards Powell Street, where I would take the cable car to the Fisherman's Wharf. The lines at the cable car turnaround point were long, but eventually my turn came and I boarded Powell-Hyde Line. On my way to the Fisherman's Wharf, I had a chance to catch a glimpse of Lombard Street and other points of interest. Since I had some time before I had to board the ferry to Alcatraz, I toured the Hyde Street Pier, and made a dinner reservation at Cioppino's, then took the historic streetcar to Pier 39 and toured the Aquarium of the Bay. I had lunch at the cafeteria next to the Alcatraz boarding pier waiting for my ferry. Shortly after 2:30, boarded the ferry "going to jail". The ferry ride was greeted with high winds. I managed to tour Alcatraz as much as possible, which included the audio tour. I made my way back to the pier, and I barely managed to get on the return ferry. Took the streetcar again to the Fisherman's Wharf and bought some merchandise at a gift shop next to Cioppino's where I got 10 percent off my dinner bill. At Cioppino's I had their namesake dish along with some sourdough bread slices, a glass of Stella Artois (na zdravi), and a few glasses of water. After dinner went to the Ghiradelli Square for dessert. After dessert, took the historic streetcar all the way to the Embarcadero and Market, then transfered to N Judah all the way to Ocean Beach, heading back to my hotel.

On the 22nd, my last day in San Francisco, I checked out of my hotel and took the N Judah all the way to Folsom Street station, then walked to the Greyhound/Ambus depot to check my suitcase. After that, spent my time at downtown San Francisco. For dinner, walked up Taylor Street to a Korean shack restaurant known as CoCoBang and had some contemporary Korean dish with a glass of Korean beer and a few glasses of water. After dinner, walked back to Powell Station and took Muni Metro to Folsom Street Station. After getting off Muni Metro, walked towards Greyhound/Ambus depot to wait for my Ambus to Emeryville. The Ambus trip across the bay was relatively timely. At Emeryville, waited for #14 (9/22), which was delayed by an hour or so. Eventually got on the train and fell asleep soon afterwards, within an hour.

On the 23rd, I woke shortly after Dunsmuir. The train was still behind schedule. I had breakfast in the Dining Car and got the Breakfast Special, along with a cup of coffee. The train was stuck for a bit due to track issues, but we were moving again about half an hour later. Spent most of my morning at the Sightseer Lounge. The train ended up arriving at Klamath Falls about an hour late. After getting off the train and picking up my checked baggage, I hailed a cab on my way back to my university apartment, at which point my vacation essentially ended.

Transportation utilized:
Within Klamath Falls: Access Taxi
Within San Francisco: Muni Metro N Judah, Powell-Hyde Cable Car Line, Streetcars E Embarcadero, F Market and Wharves, Muni bus lines 18, 28, 31, 44, Cable Car Substitute, Taxicab
To San Francisco: Coast Starlight #11, Thruway #5011
To Klamath Falls: Thruway #5014, Coast Starlight #14

Stay tuned for future trip reports as the trips are taken.

Thanks for an interesting report.

I love visiting San Francisco, and always try to include it in my itinerary whenever I visit America.

Looking forward to your next report.

Ed.

Sounds like a nice trip.

Tell me where you found a decent hotel room in SF for $160 a night. We were out there in july, and it seemed to me that rooms started at $200.
I booked my hotel in April, which was five months before the trip. I used Expedia to book my hotel, and there was a hotel right next to Ocean Beach that I found, known as the Great Highway Inn, that its rate was $160 plus taxes per night. Since I am a member of Expedia, I was able to book my hotel and that locked in my price for five months.

Not in the "splurging" category, but HI Hostel at Union Square is $45 a night, to share a 4 person dorm... For myself, as a single traveller, I would rather stay somewhere for 10 nights for $450 than 3 for $550... You never know, you might meet a character or two there also!

Ed.

Not in the "splurging" category, but HI Hostel at Union Square is $45 a night, to share a 4 person dorm... For myself, as a single traveller, I would rather stay somewhere for 10 nights for $450 than 3 for $550... You never know, you might meet a character or two there also!

Ed.
Excellent point Eddie, and good advice for most Major Cities where the money can better be used enjoying the City!

Enjoyed your trip report and wishing you the best in your new school year. Wife and I have made two trips to SF via Amtrak and the Ambus and enjoyed it immensely. Too much walking for us old folks on the first trip so we learned to ride all those neat Muni buses, streetcars, etc. on the second one.

Ed.
A middle ground between expensive hotels and sharing a room with 4 people, for a city like San Francisco, is AirBnb. For those not aware, it is a service where people put their homes/extra rooms for rent on a nightly basis. I did a quick check for SF and I see a lot of options for private room or even private apartments/studios in $100-200 range per night, there are cheaper options than that too.

I agree that hostels can be very basic, but I enjoy meeting other travellers in them, as well as the economical aspects. I am still facebook friends with folk I met at WAS, SLO and SAC hostels.

Airbnb seems a good option too, I believe it is very popular and safe.

Just need to save an extra 20% for my next visit, due to Brexit currency drop.... Grrrrrr !

Cheers,

Ed.

Although I have stayed in a hostel during my vacation trip in Korea two years ago (I was visiting my family then for summer break, but I did get a chance for a getaway on my own), I prefer hotels now due to privacy. Of course I might look into such if my budget is tight. I use Expedia to look for hotels, and sometimes I use Kayak as well. When I am traveling to Korea, I mainly stay with my family while I am over there, but occasionaly search for lodging if I plan a quick getaway on my own, and I mainly use search engines to search for such lodging. As for other overseas trip bucket list, I have ocean cruise on it, up high. In case you are wondering where my next trip report will be for, it probably will be for my Portland/Chicago/LA trip, and it likely will be split into two parts, due to the size of my trip.

Back