Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NW mudslide season 2016-17

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#81 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Via Steven J. Brown: "Mud slide at Titlow [between Tacoma and Olympia]. Main two is covered with mud. 506 is through at 10 mph.... both mains out of service. 507 holding at Tacoma."

Commenter adds: "Welcome to the NW where mud slides happen after a week of sun!"

Yeah, there's a service advisory dated 5/28 at 8 p.m. on the Amtrak website.

This one was an odd one since, as noted, there wasn't any rain in the past week. Also, very ill-timed as it ensnared Memorial Day weekend travelers. I'm guessing there were a bunch of "never-agains" created as a result.

I doubt that. When I had to be rerouted back in 2014 following a washout, I gave them another chance. I am less likely to be affected, as most of my trips don't go north of Portland. I am more of a "do again" rather than "never again". I'm guessing Titlow is more landslide-prone compared to Felida. Also has to do with record rainfall earlier this year, I'm guessing.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users