Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NW mudslide season 2016-17

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

do you think that the Empire Builder will continue having problems with landslides for the next 3 weeks. Wondering if I should cancel my reservation from WDL to CHI and instead go MKA to CHI via commuter train. 

I think you should not cancel this trip. It only affects a small part of the route, and won't affect your portion.

There's no guarantee that the WDL-CHI won't be affected. In theory, a very short bustitution at the beginning of a two-day trip shouldn't affect things down the line...but consider that the EB due to depart SEA yesterday eventually pulled out of Everett 4+ hours late. Was that due to the bustitution or some other factor? I don't know. But it's currently running 6 hours late and hasn't even reached Montana.

OTOH, the EB is capable of running 6 hours late without the assistance of a landslide....and there are times when Amtrak can get an Everett-originated train out on time. All that said, I do agree with not cancelling the trip. Just be aware that you might be running late, or in some cases be switched to a bus that they sometimes secure for pax traveling between MSP and CHI when the train is running many hours late.

#42 blackpup

blackpup

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Guess I will wait to the last minute, I know I don't want to be getting into Chicago latter than 8 at night, so if that is the case, I will commuter train it. Let's just all hope and pray for the day I am leaving the train might perhaps, actually, maybe, in some God be nice to be chance, might be on time. 

#43 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Another mudslide has been reported between Kelso and Vancouver, WA.

Amtrak Service Disruption between Kelso and Vancouver, WA
Train service suspended due to landslides

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251649704751

Edited by CHamilton, 24 March 2017 - 02:13 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#44 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

And to complete the set...

https://content.govd...lletins/18fd1d4

Rider Alert: Sounder north line

Sound Transit sent this bulletin at 03/24/2017 05:18 PM PDT

A mudslide has occurred on the north corridor blocking the tracks between Mukilteo and Everett.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#45 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

And to complete the set...

https://content.govd...lletins/18fd1d4

Another one of the Seattle Amtrak and Sounder-free days.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#46 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

This much rain, of course, means an increase in the risk of landslides.

The Weather Service warned that heavy rainfall through Wednesday – possibly more than 1 inch – could mean already saturated soil starts to slide.

Rain, rain go away ... It’s a broken record

Edited by CHamilton, 28 March 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#47 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle Wash. and Vancouver, B.C.
Train service suspended due to landslide

March 29, 2017
9:00 a.m. PT

Amtrak service is temporarily disrupted between Seattle, Wash. and Vancouver, B.C., due to a landslide north of the Canadian border. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Friday, March 31. Amtrak is providing alternate transportation.
Normal rail operations continue south of Seattle to Eugene, Ore.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

#48 AC4400

AC4400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Train watching, Train riding

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle Wash. and Vancouver, B.C.

March 29, 2017
9:00 a.m. PT

Amtrak service is temporarily disrupted between Seattle, Wash. and Vancouver, B.C., due to a landslide north of the Canadian border. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Friday, March 31. Amtrak is providing alternate transportation.
Normal rail operations continue south of Seattle to Eugene, Ore.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

"Amtrak is providing alternate transportation" - This is nice. My two reservations SEA-ALY were canceled throughout the past month with no alternate transportation. 

So I had to 1) cancel for eVoucher and 2) book Boltbus. 

Southwest Chief (3), Empire Builder (7/8), Coast Starlight (11/14), Silver Star (91/92), Silver Meteor (97/98), Northeast Regional (143/176), Cascades (500/501/504/506/507/508/509/510/513/516/517), San Joaquins (703)
1468, 4419, 4429, 4449, 4471, 4496, 6427/8, 6437/8, 6451, 6453/4, 6461/2, 6464, 6465, C2013, C2226, D8, D11, K102, N205, N212, T2, T15, T76, T103/4, T109/10, T231/2, T281, T511, T518, Y509, Y584, Z21

#49 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

They usually bustitute between Seattle and Vancouver when slides happen.  Maybe because it happens so often, they are always prepped for it.

Edited by zephyr17, 30 March 2017 - 12:47 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#50 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

They usually bustitute between Seattle and Vancouver when slides happen.  Maybe because it happens so often, they are always prepped for it.

There's actually been quite a few times this winter that Amtrak hasn't provided alternative service.

#51 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

There's actually been quite a few times this winter that Amtrak hasn't provided alternative service.

The big difference between the SEA-VAC and the SEA-PDX segments is that there is already daily Thruway bus service running SEA-VAC. So while there might not be alternative service that specifically replaces the SEA-VAC trains, there would be existing buses to put people on, assuming there was enough capacity.  For SEA-PDX there is no such fleet already in service, so it's (apparently) harder to scrounge up busses for weather-related cancellations.

#52 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle, Wash. and Portland, Ore.

March 31, 2017

11:00 a.m. PT

Amtrak Cascades and Amtrak Coast Starlight service between Seattle and Portland is suspended due to a landslide near Vancouver, Wash. on Mar. 30. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Saturday, April 1. Normal rail operations continue north of Seattle and south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251649986236

#53 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Vancouver, Wash. and Kelso, Wash.

April 7, 2017
12:30 p.m. PT

Amtrak Cascades and Amtrak Coast Starlight service between Vancouver, Wash. and Kelso, Wash., is suspended due to a landslide near Vancouver. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Sunday, April 9. Amtrak is seeking alternate transportation. Normal rail operations continue north of Seattle and south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.

Edited by rickycourtney, 07 April 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#54 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

With all of its heavy rain and rolling hills, the Pacific Northwest is one of the most landslide-prone regions in the country. This is why the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI) released a new guide on Thursday to help homeowners avoid hazardous areas when buying property, identify warning signs of possible landslides and know who to call when they do.

#55 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Another mudslide reported between Kelso and Vancouver, WA. Amtrak is looking to find buses.

#56 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

Amtrak service alert.

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251650517235

#57 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

This will also affect Amtrak service between Seattle and Everett.

Rider Alert: Sounder north line service is canceled due to a mudslide

#58 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

According to a post in Amtrak Cascades and Amtrak Coast Starlight Facebook groups, there's another mud slide somewhere between SEA and PDX. For the time being, just as usual north of SEA and south of PDX. This is interesting, as the CS for at least the next two or three days will be interrupted due to a derailment. Expect overnight bus bridge as well as the daytime bus bridge, if you are traveling on the CS for at least the next three days.

1. Proof of mudslide interruptions affecting both the CS and Cascades: 

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251651018179

2. Proof of derailment interruptions affecting the CS only: 

https://www.up.com/c.../CN2017-27.html

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

#59 Johanna

Johanna

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

So, I'm scheduled to travel from PDX to SEA to LWA (same-day connection) early next week.  In the event of another mudslide (or if this one's not cleaned up by then), what should I know about my options?  Cancelling the trip is not really an option at this stage, so if (for example) there's room for only a limited number of passengers on the bus, I want to do what I can to be first in line.

#60 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

So, I'm scheduled to travel from PDX to SEA to LWA (same-day connection) early next week.  In the event of another mudslide (or if this one's not cleaned up by then), what should I know about my options?  Cancelling the trip is not really an option at this stage, so if (for example) there's room for only a limited number of passengers on the bus, I want to do what I can to be first in line.

The bus will take all passengers that should have been on that train (i.e. had reservations), and if there's not enough space, theoretically Amtrak will attempt to charter another one. Never had this happen to me, so I can only theorize on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users