Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NW mudslide season 2016-17

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

Note to moderators: Since the recent trend is not limited to mudslides, I suggest the title of this topic be changed to "NW Inclement Weather Season 2016-17" or something similar to that, as the most recent postings don't seem to concern mudslides at all.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#22 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

Huge slide covers tracks in N. Seattle, no Sounder, Amtrak service

http://komonews.com/...-amtrak-service

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#23 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

Tough times in the NW and along the Hi-Line for sure!😣
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#24 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251647993244

Amtrak services are temporarily disrupted between Portland, Oregon, and Everett, Washington, due to landslides in the area. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Sat., Feb. 11. Alternate transportation will be provided for Amtrak Cascades service between Seattle and Everett. All Cascades service between Seattle and Portland is canceled, with no alternate transportation.

Empire Builder and Coast Starlight service is also impacted, with no alternate transportation at this time

#25 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Landslides disrupt Amtrak service in Western Washington

http://www.king5.com...ngton/406680392

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#26 AC4400

AC4400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Train watching, Train riding

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

I booked today (2/10) 509 from Seattle to Portland then connects 5509 to Eugene. 

I got email saying there is no alternative transportation provided SEA to PDX. I remember last time, Amtrak used charter buses between SEA and PDX. 

Southwest Chief (3), Empire Builder (7/8), Coast Starlight (11/14), Silver Star (91/92), Silver Meteor (97/98), Northeast Regional (143/176), Cascades (500/501/504/506/507/508/509/510/513/516/517), San Joaquins (703)
1468, 4419, 4429, 4449, 4471, 4496, 6427/8, 6437/8, 6451, 6453/4, 6461/2, 6464, 6465, C2013, C2226, D8, D11, K102, N205, N212, T2, T15, T76, T103/4, T109/10, T231/2, T281, T511, T518, Y509, Y584, Z21

#27 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

I booked today (2/10) 509 from Seattle to Portland then connects 5509 to Eugene. 

I got email saying there is no alternative transportation provided SEA to PDX. I remember last time, Amtrak used charter buses between SEA and PDX. 

One of two possibilities: I-5 was hit, or there's just not enough buses to rescue the affected passengers.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

#28 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

One of two possibilities: I-5 was hit, or there's just not enough buses to rescue the affected passengers.

One PDX TV station quoted an Amtrak official as saying they could not secure enough busses. I have to wonder whether some passengers could have been accommodated with vouchers for Greyhound or BoltBus, rather than simply saying "come back in two days and try again." Those carriers don't necessarily stop at all the en route stations, but it would be a start at least.

#29 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

I've done Bolt Bus between Portland and Seattle thrice. It is a straight-shot, direct nonstop to Seattle on the I-5, but a great alternative to the Cascades if you need to catch a morning or early afternoon flight at Sea-Tac Airport. I've never done Greyhound, but if I had to choose between Bolt and Grey, I would go with Bolt, as you can possibly bolt for a buck. But if I can, I would ride the Cascades or the CS as long as the trackage is open.

#30 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

Update: According to a Facebook post in the Amtrak Cascades group, another mudslide was triggered, disrupting train service north of Seattle. Sounder North is completely canceled, and the Cascades and the Empire Builder will not run between SEA-EVR.

#31 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

Mudslide cancels service between Seattle and Everett

http://www.seattleti...ue-to-mudslide/

#32 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Another mudslide. All passenger service thru Mar 9 including Amtrak SEA <> Everett. The rains keep coming ?

Sound Transit <soundtransit@public.govdelivery.com> Sounder north line service is canceled today, 3/8/17, due to a mudslide. Sound Transit will monitor the situation, if there are no additional events, service is expected to resume Friday morning, 3/10

Today at 8:37 AM

Rider Alert: Sounder north line canceled today due to mudslide
Sounder north line service is canceled today, 3/8/17, due to a mudslide. Sound Transit will monitor the situation, if there are no additional events, service is expected to resume Friday morning, 3/10/17.

#33 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash.
Train service suspended due to landslide

Amtrak services are temporarily disrupted between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash. due to a landslide. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Sunday, March 12. Amtrak is working to secure alternate transportation for the Amtrak Cascades and Coast Starlight service. 
Normal rail operations continue south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.
Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251649145097

#34 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash.

Amtrak services are temporarily disrupted between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash. due to a landslide. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Sunday, March 12. Amtrak is working to secure alternate transportation for the Amtrak Cascades and Coast Starlight service. 
Normal rail operations continue south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.
Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251649145097

If that is the case, I would assume that #14 (10), #14 (11), and #14 (12) will become #11 (11), #11 (12), and #11 (13) respectively at Portland (and leaving late as a result), while Cascades north of Portland would be canceled.

#35 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Another slide. This one is in a different location than the "usual" but nonetheless is disrupting service between Portland and Seattle.

Officials say Amtrak services have been temporarily disrupted between Vancouver and Kelso because of a landslide.

#36 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Bustitution between Kelso and Vancouver, WA continues through Friday.

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251649269357

#37 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Bustitution between Kelso and Vancouver, WA continues through Friday.

https://www.amtrak.c...d=1251649269357

Probably longer, the affected area is under Flood Watch. So far, the accumulated outage is forcasted at least 120 hours by Friday. 154 to 168 if another slide happens. Maybe a time to consider doing landslide mitigation work, like what they did north of Seattle. So far, at least 30 trips affected since last Friday, and at least 10 more trips to be affected.

#38 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Amtrak Service Disruption between Edmonds and Everett Wash.

#39 blackpup

blackpup

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

do you think that the Empire Builder will continue having problems with landslides for the next 3 weeks. Wondering if I should cancel my reservation from WDL to CHI and instead go MKA to CHI via commuter train. 

#40 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

do you think that the Empire Builder will continue having problems with landslides for the next 3 weeks. Wondering if I should cancel my reservation from WDL to CHI and instead go MKA to CHI via commuter train. 

I think you should not cancel this trip. It only affects a small part of the route, and won't affect your portion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users