Cascade Business Class is it worth it

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Looks like a leg of my convoluted deadhead home from PDX will be on amtraks cascade Train 500 to Seattle. The upgrade is twenty dollars on a 26 dollar fare.

I am used to Palmetto business class which I generally don't find worth the extra money because the regular coach has more leg room for the same seats.

So is business class different then coach and is it worth twenty dollars for four hours.

And to tell you about my deadhead.

Outbound

Megabus from Columbia to Atlanta.

Spirit from Atlanta to LAX then on to PDX

Returning

Amtrak from PDX to SEA

United from SEA to SFO to ORD to GSP

The Palmetto and Pennsylvanian are the only trains out there where business class is a clear downgrade in accommodations.

That said, it depends somewhat on whether or not you get a new set, and what car you are seated in. I have enjoyed business class.

That said, The nicest seat in a new talgo set is not as nice as the worst seat in an old talgo set. (But the train will only be old or new, so that does not effect the class difference.)

Here's what your $20 will get you on the PDX-SEA leg:

A much, much shorter seat assignment line.

A $3 voucher that can be used towards anything in the Bistro car.

2 X 1 seating with noticeably more arm space but no extra leg space

A free newspaper.

So, is it worth it? Not really, but if you're planning to spend $$ in the Bistro anyhow, then you can think of it as a $17 upgrade. If it's your first and likely only time on the Cascades, then I'd say go ahead and splurge. In terms of actual dollars, it's not that expensive. In terms of what you "get," well...meh. But it's also not a bad choice, either.

Having just ridden to Vancouver BC in business class I will say no it is not worth it at all. You get the same style of seat same leg room all you get is an option of a 2x1 and a 3 dollar off. Quite frankly the Talgo sets are worn out and tired. They need a overhaul or plan for replacement.

Having just ridden to Vancouver BC in business class I will say no it is not worth it at all.
You missed one of the big perks then. Business class detrains first to go through Canadian customs in Vancouver, which could easily save you 30 minutes. Ditto for boarding in Vancouver, where there's a separate Business Class line for check-in just ahead of customs, which is another 30 minute savings.

Is traveling in a private car "worth it?" I always upgrade if I can afford it.
It's big time worth it. The thing is when you see them on the back of Amtrak they usually have guests so you can't upgrade on board. Sometime you can get a deadhead for a decent price as some owners put deadheads up for sale. Each car has a different rental rate most are 1200 a day plus millage, switching charges and other things.

Having just ridden to Vancouver BC in business class I will say no it is not worth it at all.
You missed one of the big perks then. Business class detrains first to go through Canadian customs in Vancouver, which could easily save you 30 minutes. Ditto for boarding in Vancouver, where there's a separate Business Class line for check-in just ahead of customs, which is another 30 minute savings.
While we did have the Business class line going out of Vancouver this morning which was great. When we came in three days prior we were the last car unloaded by our crew as they were opening doors car by car.

While we did have the Business class line going out of Vancouver this morning which was great. When we came in three days prior we were the last car unloaded by our crew as they were opening doors car by car.
They goofed, then. They do have to open doors car by car, but they are supposed to start with business class. They did on our trip last month; as it was the late night Cascade we really appreciated the head of line privilege.

I took it once, EUG to PDX. I had a senior ticket and the extra was not much. Maybe only several people in the car and it was like a private car.

Are Cascades business class passengers allowed to be seated in PDX lounge?
Yes, but the lounge hours are limited and are geared more toward Starlight and Builder passengers. As a result, the lounge is only open for two out of the six daily Cascades departures from PDX.

The lounge at PDX was poorly stocked and boring, but in my late August 2016 on the 1450 hours northbound Cascades on a Saturday, the business class was worth it.

There were only nine others in the car. In contrast, economy class was better loaded.

The quicker boarding was an advantage, as was not having anyone next to me.

That must be non-weekend train 516. On Friday/Sunday, even business class is 90% full on this train.

The lounge at PDX was poorly stocked and boring, but in my late August 2016 on the 1450 hours northbound Cascades on a Saturday, the business class was worth it.

There were only nine others in the car. In contrast, economy class was better loaded.

The quicker boarding was an advantage, as was not having anyone next to me.

I find your comment about the PDX Metro Lounge to be strange since I've always found it to be among the Best of the Metro Lounges with a Friendly Attendant,Confortable Furniture,a Nice Luggage Storeage Area and Good Snacks and Drinks.

I would say keep the coach, and go hand out in the dining car, get a table with a power outlet, they will be hanging undernath the table, not pretty, but mostly out of sight, and they get the job done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back