Dear Amtrak, (cyclists on Surfliner)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjartmarr

Service Attendant
Rather than hollering over the PA at every bicyclist who tries to board the Surfliner on the wrong car, why not put a sign on the platform directing them to the cab car? The crew is clearly exasperated; a few dollars spent on a sign would increase both crew and passenger morale and reduce dwell time.

As I'm sure you are aware, this site is not an official Amtrak website, and those of us on it are not necessarily in a position to do something about this particular problem. That said, I'm sure many of us will have a lively discussion about this, as it seems to be a good time to discuss signage on Amtrak platforms in general.

By sign, did you mean something like this?

Regiobiking2.jpg

Yes, I know that nobody from Amtrak reads this board. That said, signs aren't rocket science; I can't believe that the idea hasn't occurred to somebody in a position to put one up. I suspect apathy. There are so many problems that management doesn't have the power to fix, it's sad when there's one that they can fix but won't.

Another common-sense suggestion: rather than have the exasperated Conductor lecture pax about bike reservations, just instruct them to call in and get one on the webpage when they buy their ticket.

Amtrak's expectation that pax are born with exhaustive knowledge of their rules and regulations is clearly at odds with reality.

A sign on the train would be okay, but better would be a sign on the platform so pax can stage themselves before the train arrives.

It could even instruct sleeper, business, and coach pax where to stand as well. But let's not let our ink and paper costs get out of control here.

By sign, did you mean something like this?

Regiobiking2.jpg
I don't know that even a sign like that would be obvious enough for everyone. Said only half facetiously, given that we have oblivious people getting run over by rumbling, horn blaring freight trains they never see...

But let's not let our ink and paper costs get out of control here.
Yeah, that already sunk the National Timetable. :rolleyes:

Sweet. Is that Austria? Must be nice.
Aber Sicher! That's the Radtramper (Rad = German slang for bicycle) which carries cyclists from Vienna to Passau, Germany to start the holy grail of touring cyclists, the Danube between those two cities.

Yes, I know that nobody from Amtrak reads this board. That said, signs aren't rocket science; I can't believe that the idea hasn't occurred to somebody in a position to put one up. I suspect apathy. There are so many problems that management doesn't have the power to fix, it's sad when there's one that they can fix but won't.

Another common-sense suggestion: rather than have the exasperated Conductor lecture pax about bike reservations, just instruct them to call in and get one on the webpage when they buy their ticket.

Amtrak's expectation that pax are born with exhaustive knowledge of their rules and regulations is clearly at odds with reality.
You must have run into a conductor suffering from bicycle derangement syndrome. I'm curious. Do you think the conductor's response was due to unfamiliarity, never seen a bike before; or because the Surfliners are becoming swamped with bikes?

A sign on the platform would be difficult because of the many consists: surfliner cars, horizons, soon (hopefully) Talgos, and the CS superliners. My strategy has always been to approach the conductor on the platform with my bike and ask where do you want me. My request has never been met with exasperation.

The only problem I ever had was a SWC conductor not letting me board with a folding bike at LAX. I let him stew in his own juices until the sleeping car attendant took it an put it in the "ski locker".

At some stations, the station agent will announce on the PA where cyclists should stand on the platform in order to board the baggage car.

As previously mentioned, the variations in the Surfliner consists makes it impractical to put signs on the platforms.

I guess I don't understand. Why does the consist matter? How would the following sign be impractical?

Passengers with unboxed bicycle reservations:

All Pacific Surfliner trains: load bikes at the south end of he train --> (obvs his would say "north" at stations south of LAX)

If you wanted to get fancy and give CS instructions too, you just say "for CS #14 northbound, go to the baggage car at the north end <--", similar for #11.

I think you underestimate the power of pen-and-ink technology.

I guess I don't understand. Why does the consist matter? How would the following sign be impractical?

Passengers with unboxed bicycle reservations:

All Pacific Surfliner trains: load bikes at the south end of he train --> (obvs his would say "north" at stations south of LAX)

If you wanted to get fancy and give CS instructions too, you just say "for CS #14 northbound, go to the baggage car at the north end <--", similar for #11.

I think you underestimate the power of pen-and-ink technology.
It's amazing to me how many people have no idea which way is north, and how many people don't even notice the signage already present. At whitefish, almost every day the station crew will have to direct people to wait by the sign that says baggage for their checked luggage, and they will have to do so while working the train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back