What Happened to 79(10/22/2016)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
79(22) made it as far as Garner (just outside of Raleigh) last night and that was it. It had a Service Disruption and sat there for a long time. Eventually 91, which had been 15 minutes late, came to a halt behind him. 91 shows arriving at Raleigh 2 hours and 6 minutes late and departing 3 hours and 3 minutes late.

80(23) has a Service Disruption and was expected to depart Charlotte 3 hours late. At 10.48 a.m., it looks like it's still in Charlotte.

This is a bad situation. 79 was scheduled to pick up a bunch of people at the NC State Fair, and also at Lexington for the Barbecue Festival. Don't know how those folks made it home. Lots of folks were severely disappointed, I'm sure. Today 80 is scheduled to let off a bunch of people at the Fair.

Anybody know what happened to 79 and how its passengers got to their destinations?

jb

From Facebook: "#91 Silver star is now getting ready to push # 79 Carolinian into Raleigh. 79 encountered a tree and is disabled. Im on the 91 now looks to be at least an 1hr behind."

Hit a tree at mp H87.7 on single track. Then E/44 had unrecoverable air brake computer issues. Decision was made by the powers at be to have 91 couple to and shove 79 to Raleigh where RNCX F59 1869 was added and both trains went about their merry way.

NC is generally very good about running a on time section of 79 when it's really delayed. And it uses the Piedmont equipment which I think personally is better

The Crescent, #20 dropped engine 161 at Charlotte for the Carolinian, 80, last night. So 80 left Charlotte 5h 2m late. All but 5 of the people who were going to the Fair found other means of transportation. 80 lost 20 more minutes at Cary due to a medical emergency. The person was not taken off the train, however.

jb

57(23) and 48(22) were also done in by trees. I think a railroad conference call to Asplundh is in order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back