Denver boarding procedure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, have an upcoming trip from Denver to Salt Lake City on CZ. I am wondering if i have E-ticket ready, do I still have to go through union station building to get to the platform? I am coming from the west, just want to see if there are other entrances that can take me directly to the CZ platform. I know Amtrak recently moved back to the restored station, but couldn't find a detailed station map online. thank you for your assistance.

Just go through the station. It will take you to the platform where they will scan your ticket. You can access the platform from the west, but it's the same distance.

No, you need not go thru the station to get to the platform, unless you need to buy/get a ticket or check bags. The CZ departs on track 4. There are numerous other ways to reach it.

You line up on the platform and the Conductor checks you in there.

To echo the previous comment, you can approach the platform from any direction on the outside. If you're taking the W light rail line in from the west, you can walk above-ground directly towards Union Station from the light rail platform. Or, you can walk through the underground bus concourse and then surface on the other end outside of DUS.

Are you a Colorado resident? If so and you're not already a member, you should join ColoRail! A little off-topic, but I always throw that out there when someone in the rail fan interwebs says they're in CO.

You don't have to go through the station, but it is one of the nicer rehab jobs and is probably worth seeing, unless you are coming from the other side (like the light rail)

Since Denver is a service stop, there is always time to jump in for a coffee (Pig Train Coffee located in the station is quite good! Naturally a bit pricey.) So I've seen the procedure in action a few times. Passengers line up at the platform itself. Super easy and simple.

You can access the platform from the street (from almost every direction) and never have to step foot in the station. But the station is beautiful and worth checking out, even for a minute.

They have a pair of "boarding lines" at the platform (one for sleeper and one for coach). But don't go there until shortly before train time; the station is way more fun to wait in.

You are right about that. Denver used to be a pretty bleak station, now, with the commuter traffic, the hotel lobby, and the easy access to the pedestrian mall it is a much livelier place with much better services. Even if the train is running late, you have a much better place to wait.

Not only is it worth seeing, it is worth arriving an hour early and enjoying an adult beverage or two (if that is your thing) in the waiting room. A complete remodel. All the hard wooden "pews" have been replaced with a selection of couches, sofas, easy chairs and work stations for computers with ergonomic furniture and lots of AC outlets. Excellent free wi-fi. The Lobby bar is right there and you can order a wide variety of Colorado microbrews, wine, mixed drinks, etc. Either pick up at a window or have service right where you are sitting. An even fancier bar is just upstairs if you want something more upscale. Even some shuffleboard and game tables available. Food also available. This has become the #1 get-together and hang out place in Denver. Highly recommended.

What about Colorado's newest Money Maker, is there a place nearby to purchase said weed and if so, is it legal to partake in public? ( I know you can't smoke anything in the Station!)

Public consumption is not legal, and there are clean air restrictions that preclude smoking anything in most bars or restaurants, with an exception carved out for some "cigar bars" There are strict quantity limits on single purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back