Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Daylight Saving Time

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

Pensacola will remain in CDT (i.e. EST) all year according to what passed in the Florida legislature. Florida will still have two time zones. They will just be perpetually in daylight time.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#82 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

Correct. People always forget about the Panhandle. We have always had two time zones. Now they will both be always in daylight savings time if Congress acts.

While I personally like Daylight Savings Time, I understand why some people don’t.

#83 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

Atlantic Time Zone is used all year round in Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, most of the Eastern Caribbean Islands and Quebec East of 63 deg West Lon.

The Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island and most of Labrador are also on Atlantic Time.

We will move to Atlantic Daylight Time this weekend.....so we will still be an hour ahead of Eastern Daylight at the Maine-New Brunswick border.

A little further east.....the Island of Newfoundland has one of those unique half-hour time zones and is a half-hour ahead of Atlantic Time.
  • Triley likes this

#84 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

Last year when Texas and Michigan considered eliminating the time changes, they found that Federal Law prohibits staying on DST all the time, so the lawmakers found their option was to eliminate DST, staying on Standard Time all year, or make no changes.  Since the majority of both states houses wanted DST all year, both efforts were tabled and died.

#85 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

I don’t have strong feelings over Standard vs Daylight Saving time, but the change between them twice a year is a pain in the neck. Pick one and stick with it.

While we’re at it, expand the Central time zone to cover the whole East coast, and the Mountain to cover the west. All of CONUS in two time zones an hour apart.
  • jis likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#86 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,534 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

Federal law has to be changed to make such a change. Nothing new there. Most news articles reporting this have said so too. The two states didn’t bother to try to change the federal law in question. It has been changed in the past. It can be done again should Congress and the President decide to do so.

• Ryan likes this

#87 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

I dont have strong feelings over Standard vs Daylight Saving time, but the change between them twice a year is a pain in the neck. Pick one and stick with it.

While were at it, expand the Central time zone to cover the whole East coast, and the Mountain to cover the west. All of CONUS in two time zones an hour apart.

This!!!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#88 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

I don’t have strong feelings over Standard vs Daylight Saving time, but the change between them twice a year is a pain in the neck. Pick one and stick with it.

While we’re at it, expand the Central time zone to cover the whole East coast, and the Mountain to cover the west. All of CONUS in two time zones an hour apart.

Only one hour apart? Besides being less confusing, how is that better than the three hour difference that exists now? Please bear in mind I don't know too much about the specifics of time zones.

• Triley likes this

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#89 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Better yet, do what the Russian railroads do.  11 timezones?  No way.  Just 1.

Clock says 5 am and the sun is directly overhead, high noon?  No problem!

Edited by zephyr17, 09 March 2018 - 05:58 PM.

• Triley likes this
Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#90 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

Only one hour apart? Besides being less confusing, how is that better than the three hour difference that exists now? Please bear in mind I don't know too much about the specifics of time zones.

Easier for business. Right now, I can't start a meeting with my folks in San Diego before 10:00 or so, unless I'm going to ask them to dial in from home or wake up ridiculously early.

I'm rolling out of the office when it's lunchtime out there. If they need something during the afternoon, I'm gone (in reality, I'm checking my emails and taking occasional calls until after dinner).

Also significantly easier when traveling - while a 3 hour time difference isn't too crushing, an hour is much easier to deal with.
  • daybeers likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#91 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

You

You have it wrong.  Before WW-2 the central time zone extended into some of the Carolinas as well as all of Tennessee. Parts of Georgia were as well.  So don't expect to go backwards !

#92 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

What exactly do you think that I have wrong? I didn’t say anything about what time zones were before.
Posted Image

#93 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:05 AM

I will never forget a customer who refused to believe me when I said I was in the Eastern time zone.

"Michigan is in Central time."

"Just a small part of the upper peninsula, ma'am. The rest of the state is on Eastern time."

"No. You're on Central time."

"Well, I live here, so I'm fairly positive I know what time zone I'm in."

:rolleyes:

That said, I do wish Michigan was on Central time. I found a map once that shows where the Eastern/Central time zone break really should be, and we were well within it. We end up with some pretty goofy sunrise/sunset times because we're in the "wrong" zone.

• Triley likes this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#94 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:23 AM

My senior year in high school, I was a delegate to Kentucky Boy’s State in Frankfort, Ky.

The Legislature was debating the question of time zones with the thought of putting the whole state in one time zone.

The Western part of the state was on CST and the Eastern part on EST.

The debate was so heated so that for the period that we were there, the Capitol buildings were officially on Rocky Mountain Standard Time while the City was on EST.

It made schedules of meetings and events quite challenging because the time depended upon which building or location the event was located.

It appears that the subject of times zones remains something we still have difficulty in agreeing upon!.

#95 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Some minutiae... apparently its daylight saving time as in the topic title...

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is often wrongly referred to as “Daylight Savings,” with an “s” at the end. 

https://www.timeandd...vings-time.html

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users