Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Daylight Saving Time

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 happy2meetu

happy2meetu

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

My wife and I have tickets travelling from Washington DC to Toledo on Saturday November 5.  The train arrives in Toledo at 5:08 AM Sunday..  Daylight saving time ends during the night meaning the clocks go back one hour.  5:08 AM is the normal arrival time for this train on a daily basis.  Why is the schedule not adjusted?  Do they use the extra hour to pad the schedule?  The train leaves DC at the regularly scheduled time as well.

#2 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

The train will sit at the first station it reaches at/after the time change till the scheduled departure time.

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 19 October 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#3 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

There are a few reasons the train's schedule isn't adjusted to take advantage of the time change.

The first is that folks downstream from the point of the time change are still used to the train arriving and departing at their station at a certain time.

It's too much trouble to publish a one day schedule.

The trains are allocated track time in a window.  In other words, most of the time the host railroad has scheduled their own (freight) trains to mesh with Amtrak's trains.  All of a sudden the Amtrak train would be early, and therefore out of its "slot".  Thereafter, it probably would be delayed due to conflicting movements anyway.

It's an extra chance to recover from prior delays.

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#4 happy2meetu

happy2meetu

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like we get an extra hour on the train.  Sounds like fun.

#5 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

This came up on a popular travel blog a few years ago. It was clear that simply waiting in the next station for an hour seemed silly to many, at least at first glance. When the author was asked what he would change and why he had to think about it a bit. Eventually he came to a similar conclusion that the value/effort ratio of making special scheduling changes for trains that were suddenly early/late twice per year was questionable at best. Based on the growing anger and frustration many people seem to have over daylight savings time I would imagine that it will eventually become the new standard time year round. Time changes don't seem to bother me as much as most people I know, but I do wish auto-update was a feature more time keeping devices would support. For instance my current vehicle does just as bad a job of keeping accurate time as my very first car way back when. It can self-update many details from my extremely accurate phone, but not the current time for some reason. Seems like a pretty glaring oversight to me.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 19 October 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,761 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

If the train did not sit at the first station it comes to after 2 am, as said passengers at stations down the line may miss their train because it came and left "an hour early".

This could be very confusing if the station has an arrival time before 2 am (say 1:55 am) with a 10 minute stop and a departure time after 2 pm (say 2:05 am). So after 10 minutes, it leaves at 1:05 am. A passenger shows up at 1:30 am to board, only to find his train has already departed. I'm sure he will not be very happy!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

The train will sit at the first station it reaches at/after the time change till the scheduled departure time.

Assuming it's not at least an hour late that is...

What do they do when they spring forward?

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 19 October 2016 - 03:17 PM.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#8 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

Assuming it's not at least an hour late that is...

What do they do when they spring forward?

Run an hour behind schedule, if on time, or if late, run an hour later than before the time change. 

#9 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

Spring ? Try to make up the lost hour by springing the train ahead..

#10 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

Just one more item on the long of things not benefiting from the twice a year time change.  Some states have tried to get out of the time change, but the law is written in such a way it is very difficult. I think Texas tried a couple years ago, but the voters were confused by the language of the proposed change, so it did not pass.

#11 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

I used to work on communications systems that had date/time programmed in for many reasons. Some had settings to allow/disallow  automatic switching, that was a problem when the gov't changed the dates for the switch and they would automatically switch on the wrong dates.Updating system software in some cases was a pricey option, if available. Some systems allowed you to set specific dates and times for the update, that was much better. Had a few large hotels that had systems that didn't switch automatically, because of the automatic wake up call feature we had to go in and reset them at the appropriate time. Cha-ching, a good OT job.

#12 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Time is a VERY complicated thing.

https://curtisautery...779342353235968

#13 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hawaii and most of Arizona do not switch.

Edited by PVD, 19 October 2016 - 05:11 PM.

#14 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

Taking the Southwest Chief on the Saturday night of time change would be quite interesting since CA will be on same time as AZ when the train starts, and while the train is in AZ, they are now in a different time zone, but wait, when they move to NM, it will have same time zone as AZ now although it did not have when the train departed LA and.... oh well, screw that. I am confused now.

#15 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,761 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

I used to work in AZ and live in NV (just across the Colorado River). Since they were technically in different time zones, it was very interesting. For part of the year, AZ was 1 hour ahead, the rest of the year had both on the same time.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#16 Alice

Alice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:40 PM

Indian reservations in Arizona DO use daylight daylight savings time, unlike the rest of the state.

#17 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

Realistically, the train will most likely be late, so you'll make up an hour.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#18 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

IIRC, the eastern half of Indiana also did not observe daylight time....Indianapolis was on eastern time in the winter, and central time in the summer, as a result.

What really was confusing, was when Amtrak made its some times semi-annual general schedule changes to coincide with the time change dates....

Even now...when a long distance train departs Chicago, and enroute the times are adjusted...does the train attempt to change to the new schedule if possible, or retain its old schedule until its completion of run?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#19 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

I think Indiana was even more complicated than that. Northwest Indiana in the Chicago area was in Central Time and observed DST; Southeast Indiana in the Cincinnati area was in Eastern Time and observed DST; and the rest of the state was in Eastern Time and did not observe DST. Now the entire state observes DST, whether in Central Time (Chicago area and Evansville area) or in Eastern Time (rest of the state).

#20 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

It changed about 10 years ago. Indiana passed a law conforming all counties to DST observance, but they still have a split over which time zone they are in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users