• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Gulfwind2

Gulfwind2

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Railroad history, Smithian Theories on Economics & Government, Cold War History, US History, the Industrial Revolution, Naval Warfare, WWII, the Streamliner Era, The comfort and safety of traveling by Pullman

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Is Amtrak converting many of its flagstops in response to the fact that their passenger traffic is generally on par with official (non-flag) stops? Or is it strictly because of blowback from its ADA lawyers?

"My heart is warm with friends I make, and better friends I'll not be knowing; Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take, no matter where it's going."- Edna St Vincent Millay

"What's the deal with airline food?"- Jerry Seinfeld

Want to solve the problem of passenger trains not having the infrastructure they need?

STEP 1. Let the Class I's pay into a USDOT-managed trust fund through 6.5% of their own revenues in order to construct a right-of-way parallel to the existing Class I right-of-way that can take Amtrak trains off the freight railroad's trackage in busy corridors.

STEP 2. Wait 10 years once enough funds are gathered.

STEP 3. Then watch. Investors are happy, passenger trains no longer have to fight freight for priority, speeds of 125mph + are now possible with no risk of freight collision, freight railroads have higher track capacity than before without having to conduct a single environmental impact study, and AU forums have far less to complain about.

#42 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Unknown but lawyers and insurance companies are know to make changes, tragic events are a great force of change.

The aftermath of the sinking of the Titanic. Passengers carrying ship are now required to carry lifeboat capacity equal to the people on board the ship. We don't require them to be tested in anything but flat water, but maybe someday...

#43 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

The flagstop list was really random anyway.   There were only 25.   After converting the flagstops which have as many passengers as the lower-volume non-flagstops, I think there were just so few flagstops left that Amtrak figured they might as well make them all compliant.  Sanderson was called out by the DOJ as an example of a flagstop which should legally qualify as a flagstop, while Slidell was called out as one which shouldn't, but I think Amtrak figured it was simpler to just try to fix all of them.

I suspect that occasional special-event stops like NYS Fairgrounds will still be subject to the flagstop rules.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#44 Gulfwind2

Gulfwind2

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Railroad history, Smithian Theories on Economics & Government, Cold War History, US History, the Industrial Revolution, Naval Warfare, WWII, the Streamliner Era, The comfort and safety of traveling by Pullman

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

The flagstop list was really random anyway.   There were only 25.   After converting the flagstops which have as many passengers as the lower-volume non-flagstops, I think there were just so few flagstops left that Amtrak figured they might as well make them all compliant.  Sanderson was called out by the DOJ as an example of a flagstop which should legally qualify as a flagstop, while Slidell was called out as one which shouldn't, but I think Amtrak figured it was simpler to just try to fix all of them.

I suspect that occasional special-event stops like NYS Fairgrounds will still be subject to the flagstop rules.

Fair enough. For a trip-weekly train (especially one that serves places such as Thurmond, WV and Sanderson, TX) I cannot seem to understand why the money would be spent to refit a platform which sees a train less than each day, and then sees a passenger or two on perhaps every other train. I have noticed in my years of riding long distance trains that some places such as Slidell, Hammond, Picayune, and so on, are simply not worth being noted as flag stops because more people today use them since pre-Amtrak days in some cases!

"My heart is warm with friends I make, and better friends I'll not be knowing; Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take, no matter where it's going."- Edna St Vincent Millay

"What's the deal with airline food?"- Jerry Seinfeld

Want to solve the problem of passenger trains not having the infrastructure they need?

STEP 1. Let the Class I's pay into a USDOT-managed trust fund through 6.5% of their own revenues in order to construct a right-of-way parallel to the existing Class I right-of-way that can take Amtrak trains off the freight railroad's trackage in busy corridors.

STEP 2. Wait 10 years once enough funds are gathered.

STEP 3. Then watch. Investors are happy, passenger trains no longer have to fight freight for priority, speeds of 125mph + are now possible with no risk of freight collision, freight railroads have higher track capacity than before without having to conduct a single environmental impact study, and AU forums have far less to complain about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users