Bedroom worth buying points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
We will be traveling next year from MIA to BOS. We have enough points for a Roomette, which is what we usually travel in. However, we would love to try a Bedroom (which we can never afford at cost). We would need to buy about 8,000 points, which we could do during the current 30% promo.

My question: is it worth it, just to try?

We are traveling next September and I want to grab it as soon as it opens for sale. I can keep trying to accumulate points on the credit card but I'm worried the bedrooms will be gone by the time I have enough total points to get it. Our travel date really isn't flexible.

Thank you for any ideas/thoughts you can share.

Since you are just topping off your account, with what Bedrooms are going for now ( Very Pricey!) I would say that in your case it's really worth it to buy the points during the promo, and then go ahead and book the Bedroom since there are only two in each Viewliner.( 3 if you are eligible for the H Room which is Amtraks Best Accomodation)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have never done it, splurge and do it just for the experience. On the other hand, we've done it and on our last trip, to NYP using points, we chose 2 roomettes which were quite a bit cheaper than 1 bedroom in points and $$.

BR: two have more room during the day. One can nap on the bench. Private shower. Best if you are young and thin so you can share lower bunk and provide your own train motion even while in the station.

2 Roomettes: You both get to sleep comfortably on the bottom bunks - important when you are old and fat. Shower down the hall is bigger than the one in the room. You can both sit facing forward when bench faces backward. Top bunk makes excellent storage when pulled down, stuff put on, then pushed up. Works best when rooms are across from each other so you can communicate.

For me as a single there is nothing like stretching out on a bedroom couch and looking out the window. The enclosed bathroom and shower work perfect for me. I travel on lots of long distance trains and enjoy the scenery. That being said I find the east coast scenery not all that great. And pricey bedrooms always. So for my money or points that's the one route I stay with a roomette.

I've traveled on Amtrak maybe a couple of dozen times, so more than many people, but not nearly as much as many of the regulars here. It's still a treat for me.

In your case, you might want to do as Bob suggests, and go ahead and splurge on the bedroom. This seems to be a time when you can reasonably do it, and if you don't, you'll always wonder what you missed!! After you've experienced traveling in one, you'll have a broader knowledge base for future trips. Personally, I like the bedrooms. The Viewliner top bunks aren't bad at all unless you have mobility issues, and the lower bunk is generously sized (for a bed on a train). And I like having my own shower available. Also, because of the windows along the aisle, with your door open, you also have a decent view from the other side of the train. Lots of forests and small towns!

Obviously, a bedroom is a lot bigger than a roomette, but the sofa in some of the bedrooms will be facing backward in relation to the direction of travel. If that's important to you, do more research on which unit to request. Many of the regulars here can tell you whether there is a way to determine that ahead of time, of if it's just the luck of the draw. I'm not familiar with the current situation on your route.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your travels!

Thank you everyone! I did buy the points needed for the bedroom. And now I am waiting for the date to open for sale. I will post on the regular board to try to get some information on which bedroom has the couch facing forward (if there is a way to tell).

Back