Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

South Dakota Passenger Rail

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

In any case Montana will be very upset if anyone tries to discontinue the Empire builder, as we have seen happen repeatedly. They were not happy when it was briefly downgraded to three times a week either. So it is not going to happen, just like Cardinal is not going away either. ;)

Right and us in PA were thrilled to lose the Broadway Limited. Of course we don't matter do we? It's only the tiny irrelevant states that matter to Amtrak and AU right?

Folks in Montana and North Dakota will beg to differ with you about their states being irrelevant. You might get a better audience here with some of your proposals if you weren't so insulting about it.
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#22 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

In any case Montana will be very upset if anyone tries to discontinue the Empire builder, as we have seen happen repeatedly. They were not happy when it was briefly downgraded to three times a week either. So it is not going to happen, just like Cardinal is not going away either. ;)

Right and us in PA were thrilled to lose the Broadway Limited. Of course we don't matter do we? It's only the tiny irrelevant states that matter to Amtrak and AU right?

Philadelphia sees more trains in an hour than states such as West Virginia - which you imply carries greater importance - have in a week.  Montana - one of the geographically larger states - is served by a single long-distance route; Pennsylvania has corridor, commuter, and long-distance train service, with four major routes between the Northeast and points west.  

Yet, by not removing all service from several states just so Philadelphia can have a fifth ("one seat") way to Chicago, you conclude Pennsylvania doesn't matter.  Seriously?  

Edited by A Voice, 12 December 2017 - 06:54 PM.

#23 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

As long as trains are not running hourly through the great city of Reading, I tend to agree with him.

Or as Cato the Elder would say, Cathargo delende est!
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#24 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:56 PM

Montana and South Dakota are both bigger than Pennsylvania so perhaps they deserve a train more than your small state.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#25 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

Even when the NCH ran, the EB was the better performer, mainly because it serves an area that is not well served by the interstate road network. Only the basic two lane undivided Hwy 2 up there.

But those 2 lane roads up in the Hi-line area have 70 mph speed limits! :)  Kind of like Texas with snow.  I once rode the EB to havre, rented a car, and then drove to Great Falls and Yellowstone.Drove 70 mph on the 2 lane highway to Great Falls, except when I had some blowing snow.

#26 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

In PA they have a posted limit of 70, a legal limit of 76, and an unofficial tolerance of 80-85. And sometimes snow, too.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#27 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:46 PM

In PA they have a posted limit of 70, a legal limit of 76, and an unofficial tolerance of 80-85. And sometimes snow, too.

That's just on the Turnpike.  All the 2-lane roads have a 55 mph limit max (and a good thing, too, given the curves and hills and cross traffic that you can't see until the last minute.)  And I-70 from the Maryland line to Breezewood is 55 mph, for some obscure reason, it doesn't seem to be any different from any other interstate in PA.

#28 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

thats not true
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users