Springfield MA Union Station platform numbering/lettering?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neroden

Engineer
So I read this article:

And I can't for the life of me figure out what platform we're talking about.

http://wamc.org/post/springfields-union-station-open-without-new-train-boarding-platform

What is "platform C"? For that matter, what are "platform A" and "platform B", and is there also a "platform D" and a "platform E"?

Of course, I still haven't figured out which of these are going to be high platforms and which will be low platforms.

I thought I'd got the track numbers figured out, but the platform labelling seems to have nothing to do with the track numbering.

Platform C is between tracks 4 and 6. This is the one they are going to renovate. D is where the Amtrak station is and is along track 8, B is tracks 2 and 2a, and A is track 1 closest to Union Station. The present Amtrak signage refers to the platforms as 1-4, the change to lettering is part of the station refurb. It's not yet clear if platforms A and B will remain in use for any trains after the work is done, though they may someday be needed down the road if Boston - Springfield rail, Boston - Montreal rail and Soringfield-Greenfield commuter rail come to fruition.:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

As far as I can tell, platforms A would be highly useful for the westbound LSL, to avoid crossing eastbound freight traffic. (Although really there should be a passenger siding on the station side... but no matter.) I somewhat doubt that they will be able to keep all the schedules of everything on time with only one platform and two tracks and the LSL showing up. They'll want another platform, but I guess they don't have funding for that yet.

Back