• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

what is a typical consist of the train to churchill? Does it inclue any dome cars?

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

#2 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

I think it has a Park car seasonally. Other then that I believe it does not. But I don't know for sure. It looks like a late 60s streamliner. No perks but uniform stainless.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#3 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

yeah, Via rail is putting park cars on it late jan-early march

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

#4 lyke99

lyke99

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:22 PM

Year-round consist is usually 2 F40PHs, baggage car, two coaches, a dining car, and a Chateau-series sleeper. As others have said, a Park-series observation car is added (as well as an occasional extra Chateau or two) during summer, Churchill's autumn polar bear season, and into the winter for the northern lights. You should check with VIA, about dates for the Park car if that is your true draw as one may not run on every train during those times. 

I chanced into a southbound run with a Park car in the summer of 2015 - it ran without an attendant and was only accessible to sleeping car passengers - as it was the very beginning of the summer tourist season in Churchill, there was a very light load in the sleeping cars (especially south of Thompson, MB) and at times I had the dome all to myself.

#5 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

Can I hang out in the dinng car, or is it closed like on Amtrak?

#6 jamesontheroad

jamesontheroad

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

Can I hang out in the dinng car, or is it closed like on Amtrak?

The dining car remains open throughout the trip. It's usually rostered between the two seated coaches and the sleeper(s).

USA/Canada trains traveled: Adirondack, California Zephyr, Canadian, Capitol Limited, Cascades, Coast Starlight, Corridor (VIA), Crescent, Hudson Bay, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Ocean, Maple Leaf, Vermonter

#7 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

So, as long as you're buying something, you can hang out in the dining car. I doubt if they would let you sit there without a purchase. 

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

So, as long as you're buying something, you can hang out in the dining car. I doubt if they would let you sit there without a purchase. 

I think he means between or after meal hours, when they're not serving or preparing for service....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 lyke99

lyke99

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

On my July 2015 round trip, half of the seating was considered "the diner" and the remaining tables were treated as lounge space. My wife and I enjoyed after dinner drinks with the guys from the neighboring section at one of those tables while others were still enjoying dinner service. There seemed to be no issue with occupying the "lounge tables" between meals. The only thing that seemed odd was that last call for snack and bar service came about 9pm; of course given the long hours a diner crew works, it didn't surprise me that they closed well before the wee hours.

Edited by lyke99, 06 October 2016 - 06:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users