Consist of Winnipeg to Churchill train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it has a Park car seasonally. Other then that I believe it does not. But I don't know for sure. It looks like a late 60s streamliner. No perks but uniform stainless.

Year-round consist is usually 2 F40PHs, baggage car, two coaches, a dining car, and a Chateau-series sleeper. As others have said, a Park-series observation car is added (as well as an occasional extra Chateau or two) during summer, Churchill's autumn polar bear season, and into the winter for the northern lights. You should check with VIA, about dates for the Park car if that is your true draw as one may not run on every train during those times.

I chanced into a southbound run with a Park car in the summer of 2015 - it ran without an attendant and was only accessible to sleeping car passengers - as it was the very beginning of the summer tourist season in Churchill, there was a very light load in the sleeping cars (especially south of Thompson, MB) and at times I had the dome all to myself.

So, as long as you're buying something, you can hang out in the dining car. I doubt if they would let you sit there without a purchase.

So, as long as you're buying something, you can hang out in the dining car. I doubt if they would let you sit there without a purchase.
I think he means between or after meal hours, when they're not serving or preparing for service....

On my July 2015 round trip, half of the seating was considered "the diner" and the remaining tables were treated as lounge space. My wife and I enjoyed after dinner drinks with the guys from the neighboring section at one of those tables while others were still enjoying dinner service. There seemed to be no issue with occupying the "lounge tables" between meals. The only thing that seemed odd was that last call for snack and bar service came about 9pm; of course given the long hours a diner crew works, it didn't surprise me that they closed well before the wee hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back