Train route maps depicting elevation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KmH

Engineer
Does anyone know of any train route maps depicting the route from the side, so elevation change relative to distance is shown.

The CZ starts in Chicago at an elevation of about 577 feet and by Princeton has climbed to about 780 feet.

Between Ottumwa and Osceola, 80 miles apart, the CZ goes from 637 feet to 1142 feet.

From 1176 feet at Lincoln there's a pretty steady climb to Denver and 5400 feet.

From Denver to the highest point on the CZ route, in the Moffat Tunnel, at 9,239 feet.

By Glenwood Springs the CZ is back down to 5761 feet, and 4078 feet at Green River.

From Green River the train starts climbing again, up to 7400 feet at Soldier Summit between Helper (5817 feet) and Provo 4551 feet).

West of Salt Lake City in eastern Nevada the CZ crosses Silver Zone Pass at about 5900 feet, tops out in California at Donner Pass, about 7200 feet, and gets down to about 23 feet at Emeryville.

I find this very interesting. I'd love to read more, especially about the long-distance trains that cross the Rockies. I think that the Silver Service is not as interesting, bearing in mind the flatness of the state of Florida.

Elevation profiles are pretty common in employee timetables. The image I attached is the Metrolink's Valley Subdivision in Southern California. This route by the way, is the route traveled by Santa Fe's 3751 steam locomotive this past week up to Acton/Vincent Grade Station.

Sonrisa Publications ( http://www.djcooley.com/) publishes a series of railroad maps, some of which depict profiles of major routes such as Cajon, Tehachapi, Donner Pass, Stampede and Stevens Pass. These profiles however, are not very detailed. These map books themselves are pretty good and are a regular part of my travel stuff.

20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I vaguely recall seeing something like that....not sure if online, or one of those route guides they used to place in every accommodation on board the trains...

I have some buried in my 'archives'...I do remember they had a route map, a timetable, with times at stations, river crossings, elevations, etc....diagrams of train consists, too, sometimes...

These were sometimes elaborate, other times simple. These were issued prior to and after Amtrak's beginning.

I have the looking down from above Sonrisa Publication maps for Colorado/Wyoming, and it goes with me on the CZ.

Now I know what I want is called a grade chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back