Joe Boardman recognized on AMTK 42

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with Boardman getting his name on a train engine. I do have a issue with it getting place on #42. Heck any of the special painted engines would be inappropriate. Why not find a fresh shop standard paint engine to name after Boardman? Place it on 42 is mix messaging if not a little insulting to veterans. Bad call Amtrak IMHO.

I don't have a problem with Boardman getting his name on a train engine. I do have a issue with it getting place on #42. Heck any of the special painted engines would be inappropriate. Why not find a fresh shop standard paint engine to name after Boardman? Place it on 42 is mix messaging if not a little insulting to veterans. Bad call Amtrak IMHO.
I don't have an issue with a vet getting his name on a locomotive dedicated to vets by a program that was started by said vet. I don't understand the logic behind your position and categorically disagree with you.

We should thank and honor Mr Boardman for his service to the United States and his allegiance to the Republican party. As for his tenure at Amtrak; his legacy will include sharp price increases, reduced amenities, the failure to restart the Sunset East connection, failure to get new equipment delivered on time and an AGR 2.0 system that gives the customer less incentive to ride. On the positive side I will credit him for his stewardship in making the beautiful new lounge at CUS happen,.. Perhaps Mr Boardman was placed between a rock and a hard place and just did the best that he could. Wicks new management team and history will either validate or invalidate this comment.

Vietnam Conflict

58,315 dead

303,644 wounded

I personally think 42 is tribute to all veterans of wars.

Not just a single member.
Of course you are free to feel whatever. However, just putting his name on it does not say anything of the sort that you are implying and reacting to. It does not suddenly remove tribute from everyone else. In some sense it just recognizes the special role played by a veteran in starting the program at Amtrak that included painting these locomotives in special livery, and even more importantly started a program to highlight the hiring of veterans at Amtrak.

We should thank and honor Mr Boardman for his service to the United States and his allegiance to the Republican party. As for his tenure at Amtrak; his legacy will include sharp price increases, reduced amenities, the failure to restart the Sunset East connection, failure to get new equipment delivered on time and an AGR 2.0 system that gives the customer less incentive to ride. On the positive side I will credit him for his stewardship in making the beautiful new lounge at CUS happen,.. Perhaps Mr Boardman was placed between a rock and a hard place and just did the best that he could. Wicks new management team and history will either validate or invalidate this comment.
Actually his greatest legacy is placing Amtrak on a firmer financial footing in spite of being squeezed from all sides. That involved raising fares to levels that apparently people are willing to pay since it was done with moderate growth in ridership all along. In my opinion, some of the cost cutting measures went a bit over the top and need to be corrected. but that might lead to somewhat higher fares to compensate. Amtrak is not exactly out of the woods completely in its finances, even though theya re in excellent shape compared to almost any other time in recent history.

I too, as a Vietnam vet, have no problem honoring Mr. Boardman, but based on the cuts in service and amenities that occurred on his watch, think that naming a Diner-Lite in his honor would have been a more appropriate tribute. YMMV

It's not the story you tell, it's how you tell it.

Sage Military Advice given to me, from my Command Sergeant Major a long time ago.

Spelling error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back