Scenery of Sierra Nevada on WB CZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I have amazingly convinced my family to take a trip from Chicago on the WB Zephyr to Lake Tahoe where we'll stay for a few days. (In fact, we live in Calif., but we're flying to Chicago just to join them :D ).

We're contemplating either getting off in Truckee or Reno. Reno is better for more easily securing a bigger rental car (given how few rental outlets there are in Truckee and their operating hours, esp. given potential for delays) and is roughly the same drive time. Plus we'll save money in bring back the car to Reno when my family flies back east.

However, one concern was what about missing the mountain climb up the Sierra to Truckee? Obviously we'll get to drive part it and see it, but we're wondering if the train scenery is that spectacular that we should just deal with the hassle of getting off at Truckee, or even should we keep going and ride all the way to Colfax or Sacramento so we see the whole stretch of the Sierra on the train and then back-track?

Just curious for those that have done the driving and the train, and how they compare.

I would think driving would depend on when you travel, i.e. snow versus summer. I think you can hike, bike and/or drive sections of the original transcon at the pass.

If your family is going thru all that effort, just for that "once-in-a-lifetime" train ride experience, then I say, why not go all the way? The Donner Pass and the bay side scenery is worth completing the trip....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the train a few times and driven a whole bunch. The best parts are past Truckee, so you won't gain much by getting off there instead of Reno. There's a city bus, BTW, that'll take you from the train station to the airport, which is where you usually find the best car deals.

If you want the scenic route, consider driving over the Mt. Rose highway to Tahoe, instead of I-80. Can be dicey in the winter, though.

Taking the CZ down to Sacramento and driving back up to Tahoe isn't a bad idea at all. It's a nice drive up. There's also a bus that'll take you to Sacramento airport to get a car.

Have fun!

TiBike is right. The Sierra peak scenery is from Truckee to Colfax and Sacramento. While nice the scenery from Reno to Truckee is similar to traveling along parts of the Colorado River in Colorado although not near a spectacular as the Colorado River. I definitely would get off at the most convenient station(Reno) for car rental and air transportation connections OR stay on the train to Sacramento if you really want to ride over the Sierra Nevadas and past Donner Lake which is all past Truckee westbound.

I would also recommend taking the train all the way to Sacramento and driving back. Super gorgeous.

I vote for taking the train to Reno, then drive to the north shore of Lake Taboe via the Mt. Rose Hwy Be sure to stop at the summit for that first spectacular view of Lake Tahoe. Drive clockwise around the lake thru South Lake Tahoe and Emerald Bay, then north on highway 89 with a visit to Squaw Valley and a ride on the tramway up to the 1960 Winter Olympics exhibit..

Continue on hwy 89 to Truckee for some shopping on Main Street (and maybe see the CZ stop there). Then back to Reno on Interstate 80 thru the Truckee River Canyon with cars on one bank and trains on the other bank.

I think the Reno to Sacramento is a really good train ride but not a great one. Driving back is great.

I like the last idea of getting off at Reno driving to the north shore via Mt Rose idea the

best. I have done both.

To add my obligatory kvetch, that is a kick ass bike ride, or would be if Amtrak ever gets it act together and takes bikes at Truckee.

For you initial question, the train from Reno to Truckee exactly follows I-80, so you get virtually the same scenery either way. I agree with the other post that where the scenery is really great is the stretch from Truckee to Colfax and on the Sacramento.

If you have the time, I would recommend going to Sacramento and backtracking. If you don't have time (I think you are adding about 6 hours to your trip if you go all the way to Sacremento), I would rent a car in Reno and try to drive up to Truckee or over Mt. Rose as recommended earlier.

Note - if you do decide to get off in Truckee, I think Enterprise and Hertz will both meet you at the Truckee station and take you to a rental car.

Given that most hotels and houses don't allow check-in until afternoon anyways, we've decided to go all the way to Sacramento. We'll probably have 2 people get off at Roseville, cab to the airport, grab our rental vehicle(s), and pickup everyone at downtown Sacto and then take 50 to SLT. All very exciting! We've got one bedroom and 2 roomettes opposite one another. Should be an awesome trip!

Given that most hotels and houses don't allow check-in until afternoon anyways, we've decided to go all the way to Sacramento. We'll probably have 2 people get off at Roseville, cab to the airport, grab our rental vehicle(s), and pickup everyone at downtown Sacto and then take 50 to SLT. All very exciting! We've got one bedroom and 2 roomettes opposite one another. Should be an awesome trip!
I might rethink the idea about having people get off in Roseville and cab to the airport to meet you at Sac Amtrak. IMHO, as someone who lives in the area I don't believe you're going to save any time that way and cabs to SMF are expensive from downtown Sac and worse from Roseville. Additionally, so long as the Zephyr arrives in before 6 (let's say 5:30) you can always have either the downtown Avis, Hertz or Enterprise locations (all on 16th Street) and generally, at least here, the local rental locations have better rates than SMF.

When you take 50 out to Tahoe you might want to make a stop at Apple Hill on the way there provided things are open when you're going through and have someone with a camera in the front seat ready to take pictures coming down the mountain into Tahoe as the view is breathtaking. I hate driving in that way because I'm usually the driver and have to pay attention to the road.

I might rethink the idea about having people get off in Roseville and cab to the airport to meet you at Sac Amtrak. IMHO, as someone who lives in the area I don't believe you're going to save any time that way and cabs to SMF are expensive from downtown Sac and worse from Roseville. Additionally, so long as the Zephyr arrives in before 6 (let's say 5:30) you can always have either the downtown Avis, Hertz or Enterprise locations (all on 16th Street) and generally, at least here, the local rental locations have better rates than SMF.

When you take 50 out to Tahoe you might want to make a stop at Apple Hill on the way there provided things are open when you're going through and have someone with a camera in the front seat ready to take pictures coming down the mountain into Tahoe as the view is breathtaking. I hate driving in that way because I'm usually the driver and have to pay attention to the road.
Well when I said cab I meant Uber (who takes a cab when they don't have to these days?). When you do the math, Roseville is only 15 minutes longer to the airport and is 1 hour ahead of downtown Sac in terms of scheduled arrival. That gives you quite the jump-start on getting things done. Plus, for the dates we're going (late March), SMF rental rates are on the order of $400-$300 cheaper for the vehicles we're looking to rent. Even more, my family will returning to SMF to fly back, so renting from there makes the return simpler and cheaper as well.

I've driven 50 enough times and find it rather uninspiring. My wife and I come from Monterey County to Tahoe and usually take 88 which is infinitely more scenic and not as crowded. Still, for my non-California family, 50 will be new and different.

CZ never takes 1 hr to go roseville to sacto. Expect that segment to take 30 minutes MAX. Folks on train will be waiting for you at Sac Amtrak when you arrive with rental carfrom Sac airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back