Photo

Has anyone gone on Dover Harbor to Williamsburg?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

I'm considering doing this from Alexandria to Williamsburg and back--I saw Dover Harbor years ago at National Train Day, and always thought it would be nice to ride in. And the short trip, while not cheap, would give me a taste of it without breaking the bank.

Any reviews from anyone here who has done this would be greatly appreciated--thanks! :)

#2 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

I can't review that trip. But working with the crew of the Dover I highly recommend it. Especially if you lucky enough get Fran and Lawrence in the kitchen. They are fantastic chefs and worth the money alone. The Dover is an experience that everyone should do once.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#3 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

And I've had the Dover three weekends this spring. And I have had crew dinner in it at every opportunity. The food alone is worth the ticket price. The car is mostly original and the entire staff is amazing.

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

#4 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Seaboard92--

Thanks for the feedback--I have decided to take the October day trip. I've seen enough Colonial stuff (living near Philly, I can always see that) and have been to Williamsburg before. But there is a museum there with historic furniture, etc., that I would love to visit, plus Bassett Hall (where the Rockefellers lived during the restoration) if it is open, so will definitely have enough to keep me busy.

One more question: How do people dress for a trip like this? (I've never done a trip like this so don't know.) I'd like to look nice out of respect for the lovely surroundings in the Dover Harbor but still wear comfortable shoes for walking around Williamsburg.

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

Nice trip Patty, you won't regret it!

Just wear comfortable casual clothing, (layers if it's Cold) even jeans would be OK if you're comfortable traveling in them!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Great--thanks, Jim! I will start getting out my fall clothes and see what still fits! :P

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 26 September 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

I can't tell you much about their normal trips. I can tell you some about our trips that it's usually better then coach like dressy casual. I can tell you the crew all have white Pullman jackets and black pants and look the part. I don't know much about how they operate as they were car 19 all season and my section really was 1-9. I hope you have a great trip. Say hello to Fran and Lawrence or Hans for me.

#8 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

Dressy casual it will be, then! :) Thanks, Seaboard 92.

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

Your welcome. You should come ride when I'm working the VMT or Fort Wayne trips next year. That or when my business partner and I get some trips going on the east coast.

#10 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

East coast trips sound good--hope they work out for you, Seaboard92. Also, what is VMT?

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

East coast trips sound good--hope they work out for you, Seaboard92. Also, what is VMT?

Perhaps Virginia Museum of Transportation? Just guessing from the context of someone or something that might run a PV trip.

#12 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:27 AM

Jis is right on the money. We should be running the big Northern out on the mainline again this spring.

#13 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

That sounds like a wonderful trip, too! I did look that one up, but if it's the one that starts or ends at Roanoke, I can't get there. I will put it on my bucket list for when Amtrak starts going to Roanoke in (hopefully) 2017.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users