Second cross country trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rincewind

Train Attendant
Hey, I wil make my second Amtrak trip in one and a half week, from New York with the LSL to Chicago and with the Zephr to Chicago in Coach and I have three questions.

1. My final destination is San Francisco Fishermans Wharf. I know that there is no checked baggage there but I thought it would be possible to check my bag till Emeryville and carry it on the bus. Now I read this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1662278-california-zephyr-emeryville-checked-luggage-question.html

Today when I booked our 2 bedrooms on the California Zephyr (westbound) the agent informed me that if we are taking the thruway bus from Emeryville to the SF finanicial district that we won't be able to check any luggage because there won't be enough time to retrieve it before the bus leaves.
Is this true and a general rule? I don't want to carry around by suitcase in New York and Chicago and had hoped to check it early in the morning and get it back in Emeryville. Is there an alternative?

2. I read about a souvenir shop at the Chicago Union station where I can get Amtrak souvenirs. Where is it and what is the name, I have missed it last year.

3. Is there a good pizza place near the Chicago Union station for a stuffed or Deep Dish pizza? I really want to try one during the stopover.

Thank you in advance!

1. My understanding is that you can check the bag through to "SAN FRANCISCO". The thru way bus only stops at the temporary SF stop(not sure of the name since I have not ridden thru way bus since this became the temporary stop but it is in the Embarcadero area. Do not check bag to Emeryville but "all the way to SF".

2. The souveneir shop is near the ticket counters unless they have been moved by the renovations. It's very small.

3. There is deep dish pizza within about 3 blocks. I'll let others give more information.

1. My understanding is that you can check the bag through to "SAN FRANCISCO". The thru way bus only stops at the temporary SF stop(not sure of the name since I have not ridden thru way bus since this became the temporary stop but it is in the Embarcadero area. Do not check bag to Emeryville but "all the way to SF".

2. The souveneir shop is near the ticket counters unless they have been moved by the renovations. It's very small.

3. There is deep dish pizza within about 3 blocks. I'll let others give more information.
1. My ticket says San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf. This seems to be a curbside stop. There are several stops in San Francisco for the Thruway Bus.

2. Thank you!

You could see the Chicago Bean I believe it would be a miles walk round trip from Union station.
This sounds like a good idea. :) Last year I went to the Willis Tower and to the Lake Michigan.

Giordano's:)
It's on the list. ;)

If you like lots and lots and lots of cheese and a substantial crust, go to Giordano's and stuff your face. Their pizza is HEFTY. It's more like a casserole. Total comfort food. Keep in mind it takes about 45 minutes to bake.

I tend to go to Lou Malnati's for their Chicago Classic. They make their own sausage (not too greasy or fatty... quite lean and tasty), and it has a crisp, buttery crust. It bakes much quicker since it's not as hefty as a traditional deep dish.

It really just depends on my mood and who I'm with. Everyone has their favorite. :)

You can only check baggage to ONE of the stops in San Francisco (the 'temporary transbay terminal') and Fisherman's Wharf isn't the one stop. So that's why you can't check baggage.

This bit me on a trip earlier this year.

You can only check baggage to ONE of the stops in San Francisco (the 'temporary transbay terminal') and Fisherman's Wharf isn't the one stop. So that's why you can't check baggage.

This bit me on a trip earlier this year.
And is it possible to check the luggage till Emeryville or to the Temporal transbay terminal?

If you like lots and lots and lots of cheese and a substantial crust, go to Giordano's and stuff your face. Their pizza is HEFTY. It's more like a casserole. Total comfort food. Keep in mind it takes about 45 minutes to bake.

I tend to go to Lou Malnati's for their Chicago Classic. They make their own sausage (not too greasy or fatty... quite lean and tasty), and it has a crisp, buttery crust. It bakes much quicker since it's not as hefty as a traditional deep dish.

It really just depends on my mood and who I'm with. Everyone has their favorite. :)
I will check it! Thank you!

Which Lou's is closest?

There are several within reach for a takeout and they accept online orders, which might save some time. I thought about Giordanos Stuffed Pizza and I really love cheese, but this seems to be just too much for one. Not that there is any problem with that, but I think taking the rest with me on the train might be not very nice to the other travelers in coach... So it will be Lou Malnati's!

I see you are from Germany. I did the same trip (Lake Shore Limited and California Zephyr) in May 2012, and I wrote a blog about this amazing journey. It's in Dutch so you may find it interesting and not a very tough read to understand...

Please enjoy!

https://usabyrail.wordpress.com/

You may also find this interesting:

Giordano's has a deep dish for one, small pizza with a side salad (very good Caesar dressing) plus a drink for about $10. About 2 blocks east and 1 block south of Union Station. (I recommend you look it up because I am known to get my directions wrong!)

I made this trip twice for the past two years. I usually carry my bag with me, but I have seen Zephyr passengers claim

their checked luggage, then bring it to the bus where the driver places the luggage on to the bus. I always get off the

bus at the Trans-bay Terminal and there you pick up the luggage from the driver at the station. Very convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back