Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pretty Red Wing's Pretty Amtrak Depot (PICS)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Riverviewer

Riverviewer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

While in Red Wing, Minnesota back in June, I took these shots in and around the RDW depot with the iPhone 6S I'd just acquired. (Sorry if things are a little blurry here and there as a result.)

It's one of two old railroad depot buildings in town...the other, the former Milwaukee Road station a couple blocks away, was converted into a Hardee's restaurant in the early '80s, then into a Caribou Coffee place about a dozen years ago. 

Railroad memorabilia in both old depot is from a local railroad enthusiast's collection--I can't remember his name. 

RDW's building is shared by the local Arts Association (who also has gallery space there) and visitors bureau. Otherwise, it's unstaffed by Amtrak. 

While there, I also shot a video of the #8 EB arriving, discharging and boarding passengers (double spot)...but, as 282.5 MB, it's a little big to post here.

Neverless....enjoy!

Attached Files

Edited by Riverviewer, 09 September 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#2 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Nice photos, thanks for posting them. I love the hyper modern IC logos of the past.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#3 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

Are you sure the Hardies/whatever isn't the former Chicago Great Western depot?  I suspect the current Amtrak station belonged to the Milwaukee road.

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,024 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

Excellent pics,thanks for sharing!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 Riverviewer

Riverviewer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:54 AM

Are you sure the Hardies/whatever isn't the former Chicago Great Western depot?  I suspect the current Amtrak station belonged to the Milwaukee road.

I believe it's the other way around...i used to live in Red Wing, and was there when the Hardee's opened in the old Milwaukee Road depot.

#6 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

This post motivated me to finally write up a little trip report from a trip last year to Rochester, MN by way of Red Wing.

http://discuss.amtra...re-red-wing-mn/

DSC05475.jpg

#7 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

I believe it's the other way around...i used to live in Red Wing, and was there when the Hardee's opened in the old Milwaukee Road depot.

My wife is from just across the river and I've been through RW many times and boarded the EB several times.  I would have guessed the Hardees was Chicago Northwestern (perhaps they gobbled up CGW), so I googled it.  According to Wikipedia "The Chicago Great Western Depot at 726 East Main Street in Red Wing, in the U.S. State of Minnesota, is a former railroad station listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

Strangely enough, just below the Wikipedia link is "Images for chicago great western red wing depot".  One of the images is clearly the former station in question and one the current Amtrak station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users