10 replies to this topic

#1 williamn

williamn

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

Slightly odd experience yesterday on the train from London to Toronto. All smooth (and a packed train) until just outside Aldershot when we ground to a sudden halt. Lots of running about from the staff including checking out the back of the train. After a while we were advised there was a 'safety protocol' that we had to follow and there would be a delay - of at least an hour.

Someone on the train calls VIA Rail and were told that a train in front had run through a red light. The driver was not allowed to continue and it was awaiting replacement crew.

Shortly after staff on our train announced that WE were awaiting replacement crew - which led me to suspect that it was actually our train which had run the red light.

Eventually reached Toronto 2.5 hours late. Most frustrating was the lack of clear and regular communication from the crew, the vagueness of explanations from them, lack of updates as to revised arrival times and the poor compensation (50% of our ticket as a credit only valid for 6 months). One poor woman was in tears as she was going to miss her flight, couldn't afford a new one and VIA refused to compensate. Luckily some kind fellow passenger paid for a new flight for her.

#2 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

Slightly odd experience yesterday on the train from London to Toronto. All smooth (and a packed train) until just outside Aldershot when we ground to a sudden halt. Lots of running about from the staff including checking out the back of the train. After a while we were advised there was a 'safety protocol' that we had to follow and there would be a delay - of at least an hour.

Someone on the train calls VIA Rail and were told that a train in front had run through a red light. The driver was not allowed to continue and it was awaiting replacement crew.

Shortly after staff on our train announced that WE were awaiting replacement crew - which led me to suspect that it was actually our train which had run the red light.

Eventually reached Toronto 2.5 hours late. Most frustrating was the lack of clear and regular communication from the crew, the vagueness of explanations from them, lack of updates as to revised arrival times and the poor compensation (50% of our ticket as a credit only valid for 6 months). One poor woman was in tears as she was going to miss her flight, couldn't afford a new one and VIA refused to compensate. Luckily some kind fellow passenger paid for a new flight for her.

It could be possible that VIA was correct about it being the train ahead being "to blame", and the crew of your train was going to be "out of hours" as a result of the delay, necessitating a relief crew...

That said, whenever any event occurs, be it accident or rule violation, the subject will tend to keep the matter "close to the vest" pending an official investigation...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#3 Gulfwind2

Gulfwind2

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Railroad history, Smithian Theories on Economics & Government, Cold War History, US History, the Industrial Revolution, Naval Warfare, WWII, the Streamliner Era, The comfort and safety of traveling by Pullman

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

The crew on the VIA train almost definitely got hog-lawed because of the delay (required a new conductor and engineer in the cab due to an expiration of contract hours).

"My heart is warm with friends I make, and better friends I'll not be knowing; Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take, no matter where it's going."- Edna St Vincent Millay

"What's the deal with airline food?"- Jerry Seinfeld

Want to solve the problem of passenger trains not having the infrastructure they need?

STEP 1. Let the Class I's pay into a USDOT-managed trust fund through 6.5% of their own revenues in order to construct a right-of-way parallel to the existing Class I right-of-way that can take Amtrak trains off the freight railroad's trackage in busy corridors.

STEP 2. Wait 10 years once enough funds are gathered.

STEP 3. Then watch. Investors are happy, passenger trains no longer have to fight freight for priority, speeds of 125mph + are now possible with no risk of freight collision, freight railroads have higher track capacity than before without having to conduct a single environmental impact study, and AU forums have far less to complain about.

#4 williamn

williamn

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

2 hours seems like quite a small margin of error though - is that normal?

#5 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

It depends.  If I'm on the NEC, I'll "gamble" on my train being into NYP (or WAS) within 90 minutes of posted time...particularly if it's an Acela I'm taking.  I generally wouldn't do the same thing on an LD train...but I'll still (generally) bank on arrival within 4-5 hours.

(Of course, I'm also one of those oddballs who will often schedule a large buffer in place "just in case", which has resulted in a number of overnight holds in Los Angeles)

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#6 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:23 PM

What are you referring to Anderson? Train and flight connections?

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#7 williamn

williamn

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

I was called my a local news station yesterday who suggested there was more to this incident than meets the eye...

Also I got an email from VIA CEO today (as did presumably all the other passengers) - no further information but an apology and now a 100% travel credit.

#8 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:00 AM

What are you referring to Anderson? Train and flight connections?

Correct.  I'm also definitely more willing to "throw the dice" if it's a connection from a plane to Amtrak than vice-versa so long as it's more than a 1x daily route.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

I've been debating the viability of a connection from the Silver Meteor arriving at 11 and departing on a LH 380 at four pm from JFK. I strongly doubt it's doable.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#10 williamn

williamn

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

And here's what actually happened: http://www.lfpress.c...h-with-go-train

#11 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

The article mentioned the engineer(s) were suspended...
Did I understand that correctly--there were two?

I wonder if they were both distracted from observing and calling the signal?

That has been the subject of much debate over whether having a second person in the cab is beneficial or a detrement to safety...

Edited by railiner, 13 September 2016 - 02:57 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users