Photo

Super Dome or Cedar Rapids?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Which car and for how much $$?

Which car would you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What would you pay for one way or round trip?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:31 PM

I am thinking of chartering either Cedar Rapids or Super dome #53 MSP-CHI-MSP, a few years down the line. I was just wondering, who maybe would ride it, and for how much? Estimated cost is $6200, so I want to try to make at least some of it back. I HAVE NOT set dates, or decided which car I prefer. I was thinking $175 one way, or $300 round trip. Super Dome #53 has a full kitchen that car feeds more than it's seating capacity. Cedar Rapids also has a very small kitchen, but has that awesome glass back. I live in MSP, so I would use cars based out of MSP, both of these are. Here are links to each of them.

https://261.com/fleet/cedar-rapids/

https://261.com/fleet/super-dome/

Edited by norfolkwesternhenry, 01 September 2016 - 09:31 PM.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

#2 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

I can't go with you but I am all about the Cedar Rapids. I've been on that car and it is mint. However, I'm a foodie so it would boil down to the food offerings. All things being equal, I'd take the Cedar Rapids. Those chairs are extremely comfortable and the owner is extremely accommodating.

Good luck.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 01 September 2016 - 09:46 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#3 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:38 PM

Knowing what chef Joey is capable of in that kitchen makes that a tough decision. Why not charter both. Then subtract the seats you want for you, and your personal group (CONO) subtract that number from total capacity. Take the total charter cost and divide it by remaining capacity band add a fifty percent mark up. Then you make some profit for your next trip. Hope that helps some

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#4 HighBall

HighBall

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:21 AM

To get an idea for pricing, go to Friends of 261. They offer several MSP-CHI-MSP trips per year with both cars. Their site offers $299 r/t, $179 o/w, meals included in Premier class.

I've been on several and they have a good turn out.

#5 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:37 AM

I have traveled on both cars when they were in Milwaukee Road or Amtrak service.  The Milwaukee Road had unique cars.  My favorite cars, however, were the tear drop Dome Observation Lounges or Parlors built by Budd for the California Zephyr and the Twin Cities Zephyr. 

#6 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

Since the Cedar Rapids is owned by the Friends of the 261 and is actively available for rent, while Amtrak has never rented out its dome, it's obvious that Cedar Rapids is the only logical choice, especially for someone living in the 261-based Twin Cities. 

#7 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

Knowing what chef Joey is capable of in that kitchen makes that a tough decision. Why not charter both. Then subtract the seats you want for you, and your personal group (CONO) subtract that number from total capacity. Take the total charter cost and divide it by remaining capacity band add a fifty percent mark up. Then you make some profit for your next trip. Hope that helps some

How should I get advertising to all the people who want to ride this?

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

I can think of several ways. Trains mag, AAPRCO, newspaper, 261 might help as well. Start a travel agency. Send me a PM and I'll give you my number. It'll be easier to talk that way as I don't always check my inbox here, but I check my texts as they come in.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users