Well how does that work?!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
This just crossed my mind, even though I took the TE in January, if my TE had one sleeper, in front if the CCC, and three coaches behind the SSL, also a baggage and dorm car, I met a guy that had come from LAX on the through cars on the SL, what would have happened to the sleeper on the southbound train that came in the night before? Shouldn't a northbound 422/22 have two sleepers? One from the SL, and one from the night before's TE? How dies that work?!

Not completely sure, but I know only one sleeper both directions on the Texas Eagle SAS to CHI. I actually think the situation is that the southbound Eagle's only sleeper and the thru coach are connected to the LAX bound Sunset Limited on the same night that the Eagle sleeper and thru coach arrive from LAX and thus replaces the sleeper and thru coach on the northbound Eagle to CHI. On other nights the sleeper simply returns on the next morning Eagle. Someone earlier did state that they may keep a spare sleeper and coach in SAS all the time in case of hiccups. There are never two sleepers on the SAS to CHI route of the Eagle.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 421/422 days, the trans-dorn is 21/22 and the full aleeper is 421/422. Only the full sleeper is switched to/from the SL. I'm not sure but I think 1 full sleeper is held in SAS on the day prior to 421/422.

On the days when there is no SL, both sleepers are 21/22.

The Texas Eagle only has one full sleeper everyday. On the day's it runs through to LAX, that one sleeper is put on the back of the SSL along with the through coach. The next morning, the Texas Eagle grabs the sleeper and coach that are stored on a siding in SAS. They were dropped off a couple nights prior by another southbound Texas Eagle that wasn't not going through to LAX. When that consist turns to the northbound TE, it'll take the through cars off the arrival of the SSL from LAX. Each days operations are slightly different in SAS, and a couple nights, they have to deal with both the eastbound and westbound SSL. But there is always a sleeper and coach in SAS that is either dropped off or picked up by the TE depending on what night of the week it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back