Round Trip From Chicago With No Hotel Night

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
Having only about 33,000 points accumulated, what is the longest round trip I can do without spending a night in a hotel? Ok, I won't mind one night,

A couple of years ago I met a lady who was going from GBB to LAX in coach! She was meeting friends for lunch and then taking the next train back. I would't mind coach for a short part of the trip, but certainly not overnight. I'd pay for the coach part.

I am thinking about taking this trip in March, so I might have a few more point accumulated by then. Also, I realize that points vary from day to day, so just an educated guess will suffice.

Any ideas you can throw my way?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can take the SWC from CHI to LAX and return the same day. Same is true for EB from CHI to SEA or PDX. It would be four days but no hotels. For a shorter trip, the CL CHI-WAS also works. From CHI, the LSL, CONO, TE, and CZ don't allow you to come back the same day.

From CHI, the LSL, CONO, TE, and CZ don't allow you to come back the same day.
Of course one can go out and return without staying overnight. One just cannot go to the endpoint.

From CHI, the LSL, CONO, TE, and CZ don't allow you to come back the same day.
Of course one can go out and return without staying overnight. One just cannot go to the endpoint.
I don't have to come back the same day, so that would not be a problem. I would not care if I had to stay over night one night somewhere.
If you choose a low-bucket day or train (check amsnag.net), you can get a roomette to the terminus. I just checked CHI to SEA for March 13, and there is one roomette on the #7 for less than 15,000 points. You could do an Empire Builder loop through Seattle and Portland and might have to pay for the Cascades between the two, maybe not. The schedule does not *quite* work without an overnight. You would have to choose which city to stay in, but both are nice in March (lots of stuff in bloom).

Where have you not been that you'd like to see Betty?

As others have said there are many places you can do an overnight trip on Amtrak and do a next day turn without

having to spend a night in a Hotel.

I sort of agree with Oregon Pioneer, I suggest taking the #27 to Portland or #7 to Seattle and then returning the same evening on #28 or #8.No Hotel overnight necessary and you get to see great scenery both ways and have time for a nice lunch and stretch in great cities!

Jim/Bob, one place I would really like to go is Vermont. A trip there would make it the 49th state I have visited. It would require one night in Vermont, which is ok, but unless someone can figure some perfect routing, I would have to spend another hotel night somewhere.

Also, as you and Oregon Pioneer and Philly Amtrak Fan said, #27 to Portland would be nice. I have never seen the Columbia Gorge and I have seen a lot about it on the forum.

I'm waiting for the other Betty to chime in....Amtrak Blue, you said it was time for a train trip. Any suggestions?

Also, Alpine, TX intrigued me when I went through on the TE/SL a few years ago, but I guess that's out of the question.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

I don't know the various routes all that well.

Maybe the CL to DC then a Silver to Winter Park for a same day turn? That may require an overnight in DC to catch the right Silver that will allow that. Or overnight in Winter Park.

LSL to the Ethan Allen would work for getting you to Vermont with no overnight in NY or Mass.

Excellent ideas Betty!

Go to New England in the Fall when the leaves are turning,and as you said, if you go there you'll need to spend a couple of nights in a hotel!

As for Alpine,thats the place of my birthday and where I spent many summers of my youth with my Railroader Grandparents.

You CAN do a same day turn there if you arrive on #421 on a Thursday @ 1038am from Illinois since #422 from LAX arrives @845pm which gives you time for Lunch and Dinner in this nice little Mountain town.

You can also arrive on #421 on Sunday, spend the 2 days and 1 night and catch #422 on Monday night to return Home!

There's a great old Railroad Hotel, the Holland, across the street from the Amtrak Station, that has been nicely rehabbed, as well as many Chain and, Mom and Pop Motels.

Alpine is a Crew change spot for UP and Amtrak and the Crews stay @ reasonable Motel on the East side of town.

If you'd like more info Google up Alpine and/or PM me! Several other AUers like Alpine also!

Back