Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Wick Moorman CEO of Amtrak

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,437 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Excellent topics for thought and discussion jis!

Knowing Brian Rosenwald and his record, I would hope he would be one of the first Executives named to help get Amtrak back on track!

Some of the bean counters and lifers at 60 Mass are probably polishing their resumes!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#22 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

jis,

My impression (and that is all it is--just the feeling I get about him) is that he is one of those people who is secure enough within himself that he is not afraid of John Mica or anyone else. (After all, he had to deal with Hunter Harrison, and that's about as tough an enemy as you could come across.) And also secure enough that he can be that rare combination: an excellent businessman combined with a truly gracious and sincere personality.

I would imagine that, the first year, he will take stock of what is most in need of fixing and deal with that. If he stays longer, then perhaps we will see some dead wood go and some excellent people return. (Jim, you might have to be patient just a little bit longer! :P)

I think his biggest strength is that he will be approachable and listen to ideas from all sides (maybe even us! :))

Also, I realize it's probably obvious, but what does the acronym "BU" stand for in regard to long-distance trains? Thanks....

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 19 August 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#23 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

Wow, just incredible. Someone who actually ran a railroad will be running Amtrak. Sure haven't seen that in a while. 

#24 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

All right, Moorman is a good choice. A railroad executive who actually seems to enjoy railroads. He'll bring some new ideas and energy into the operation and will know how to negotiate with the freight rails. Looking forward to see what happens. 

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,482 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Also, I realize it's probably obvious, but what does the acronym "BU" stand for in regard to long-distance trains? Thanks....

Business Unit. :) A common acronym used in businesses that organized around a number of Business Units.

#26 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thanks, jis!

Now I know what it means, I think he will most certainly be able to do something good about the LD BU!

I will give him at least a couple of months before I ask for the diner back on the Silver Star! :P

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 19 August 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#27 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

Thanks, jis!

Now I know what it means, I think he will most certainly be able to do something good about the LD BU!

I will give him at least a couple of months before I ask for the diner back on the Silver Star! :P

Yeah, we can ask all we want. It is not clear that even our creator mother nature can extract a few working Diners out of CAF anytime soon. :(

#28 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

Fingers crossed here.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#29 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Ok.. Here are some facts that I can present to you about Wick.. 

1. His retirement was forced.. NS has a corporate policy that MANDATES retirement from senior management at a certain age. He hit that age. It's a complete farce IMO. 

2. He actually knows how to railroad! If you ever work for the railroad, the one thing that is constantly bitched and moaned about is that many Trainmasters these days have never touched foot on a piece of equipment, let alone know how a train moves. This is a major up and coming problem.. I had a train master tell me once how to do my job.. He had NO previous railroad experience.. I told him to Shut up you have not a (insert expletive here) clue what you're talking about. And when I proved that he was a dumb moron who doesn't know the rule book he shut up and went to a trailing unit for the rest of the trip. He never gave me or anyone crap again. 

Wick started as a Conductor and moved his way up through management.. I can almost promise you that if you gave him a cut sheet of 100 cars he could still shift the hell out of them with the best of us! THIS IS WHAT RAILROADS NEED!!!!! 

3. He's a pretty big buff.. Why do you think NS has 20 heritage units and has repainted several more to their original paint. Wick Moorman.. 

4. It's fair to say he could be a Graham Claytor part deux. 

5. NS employees were annoyed when he was forced out. Simply cause he knows the business better then anyone. 

6. His replacement at NS is a lawyer who has never done anything T&E related. You can imagine how that's been going over with the T&E employees at NS. 

When I saw this, I almost had a moment of running around in happiness. 

I will say that personally I think that this is going to be a short term thing, to get Amtrak turned around from where Boardman had the company going. it's a win for Amtrak though. And I'm sure that Charlie could tell you that personally I wanted him as the next guy in charge. 

Edited by Acela150, 19 August 2016 - 03:17 PM.

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#30 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Anybody know his age?

#31 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

Anybody know his age?

66. Born in 1950 in Hattiesburg MS.

Edited by jis, 19 August 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#32 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

The Amtrak CEO will always have limited resources unless the funding structure for Amtrak is significantly changed, but still I'm hopeful that some good decisions can come from Mr. Moorman in the fairly short term.  This is good news for Amtrak.

(Moderators:  You may wish to edit the title of this post to correct the spelling of Moorman)

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#33 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Jis.

#34 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

Sounds like a very good choice. I am looking forward to seeing some positive changes, I hope enough to increase ridership and make Amtrak travel more enjoyable again.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#35 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

Now if only he can wrangle Congress like Claytor could.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#36 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

(Moderators:  You may wish to edit the title of this post to correct the spelling of Moorman)

Thanks.

Amtrak miles: 246,317; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#37 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

Now if only he can wrangle Congress like Claytor could.

The man has it in him.
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#38 NE933

NE933

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

Great news.  I can start caring again, and, all the rail forums will hopefully turn around the daily doldrums that stayed overwhelmingly negative for the past several years. 

Now, from what I've picked up and reasoned, there will be changes, in order for Amtrak to survive, some of which we may not like but necessary none the less.  We can all agree that the mess we're in requires SOMETHING(s) be done differently.  I'm hoping for actions that will address the lack of badly need rolling stock acquisition to counter the slow but steady deterioration, and attrition, of railcars and locomotives.  Plus lots of common sense stuff too numerous to list but mentioned aplenty in the past. 

So, what date does Charles 'Wick' Moorman start?  September 1?

#39 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

why would someone retire from this : While CEO of Norfolk Southern in 2008, Charles Moorman earned a total compensation of just over $9 million, which included a base salary of $950,000, a cash bonus of $1,759,400, stocks granted of $6,768,618, and options granted of $2,415,000.

and then a year later take job like this :

in May 2013, Boardman signed to a two-year "renewable" contract. Board Chairman Anthony Coscia said, "We are extremely pleased with the progress Amtrak has made under the leadership of Joe Boardman". Boardman's salary during 2013 was $350,000.

#40 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

why would someone retire from this : While CEO of Norfolk Southern in 2008, Charles Moorman earned a total compensation of just over $9 million, which included a base salary of $950,000, a cash bonus of $1,759,400, stocks granted of $6,768,618, and options granted of $2,415,000.

and then a year later take job like this :

in May 2013, Boardman signed to a two-year "renewable" contract. Board Chairman Anthony Coscia said, "We are extremely pleased with the progress Amtrak has made under the leadership of Joe Boardman". Boardman's salary during 2013 was $350,000.

Because, "at some point, you've made enough money" ?

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users