A Chihuahua Dog in CZ Bedroom 0n 8/16-8/17-What the heck!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On our trip back from Denver on train #6 8/16-8/17, we were in sleeper car 0631 bedroom E on the California Zephyr heading for Chicago. In bedroom C there was a couple that had a little Chihuahua dog with them for the entire trip. They even went so far as to take him into the dining car and fed him at the table! This all seemed very irregular to us and I asked the SCA about it. She replied that this is now allowed.

Can anyone update me on the policy for taking dogs on Amtrak. I read that there was a seven hour trip limitation and a coach seat requirement for pets 15 lbs or under and an allowance for "Service Dogs" but have never seen a non-service dog like a Chihuahua in a sleeper. The little dog was quiet and well behaved but this all seemed against Amtrak policy. Am I wrong about this?

This appears to be in violation of Amtrak's pet policy, what you quoted above is correct (although the limit is 20 pounds).

https://www.amtrak.com/pets

Now, if it was a service animal, it would be allowed. However, Amtrak takes a tighter stance on service animals and does not include "comfort pets" as service animals. I do not believe a Chihuahua could ever be considered a service animal.

https://www.amtrak.com/service-animals

Was the Chihuahua wearing pajamas while it was being fed in the diner?

Actually, I'd be fine with that (as would many other dog people who tend to think dogs are better-behaved than many humans). :p

I was on a short Amtrak trip on the NEC recently, and there was a Chihuahua being held and being fed peanut butter out of a jar. I told him he was a precious little one and blew him a kiss. :)

The conductor walked right by and didn't say a word about the dog not being in a carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'd be fine with that (as would many other dog people who tend to think dogs are better-behaved than many humans). :p

I was on a short Amtrak trip on the NEC recently, and there was a Chihuahua being held and being fed peanut butter out of a jar. I told him he was a precious little one and blew him a kiss. :)

The conductor walked right by and didn't say a word about the dog not being in a carrier.
I wouldn't consider a Chihuahua to be "precious." They're nasty little yippy things that should be left at home. (As should all pets that aren't authentic service animals).

Aaaaaaaand here we go... *really wishes we had a munching popcorn emoticon here*

Well, it is true I certainly did not try to pet him. And he may have been quiet only because he was busy eating peanut butter! :p

Amtrak may have given up trying to enforce the rules but there is nothing in the ADA that prevents fellow passengers from calling out someone for bringing a pet into the diner. If it's smaller than a house cat and yips incessantly while shivering uncontrollably it really has no business being called a dog, let alone a service animal. I'm an animal lover myself, but my love is not unconditional, and to me a Chihuahua looks like a failed biology experiment that would struggle to survive more than a day on its own. I wonder if there is a documentary on how such a thing came into existence.

Well, after reading dlagrua's original post, I have tried to look at this from a different angle.

I have a neighbor and friend who is an excellent cook, but I have to make excuses to not go to her house if she invites me for dinner, because she lets her cats walk on the dining room table during dinner, which I find unpleasant.

So I think I can understand now why dlagrua's experience with the dog in the dining car might have been unpleasant.

Amtrak may have given up trying to enforce the rules but there is nothing in the ADA that prevents fellow passengers from calling out someone for bringing a pet into the diner. If it's smaller than a house cat and yips incessantly while shivering uncontrollably it really has no business being called a dog, let alone a service animal. I'm an animal lover myself, but my love is not unconditional, and to me a Chihuahua looks like a failed biology experiment that would struggle to survive more than a day on its own. I wonder if there is a documentary on how such a thing came into existence.
Wikipedia is your friend:

The Chihuahua's history is puzzling and there are many theories surrounding the origin of the breed. Both folklore and archaeological finds show that the breed originated in Mexico. The most common and most likely theory is that Chihuahuas are descended from the Techichi, a companion dog favored by the Toltec civilization in Mexico.%5B2%5D No records of the Techichi are available prior to the 9th century, although dog pots from Colima, Mexico, buried as part of the western Mexico shaft tomb tradition which date back to 300 BC are thought to depict Techichis.%5B3%5D It is probable that earlier ancestors were present prior to the Mayans as dogs approximating the Chihuahua are found in materials from the Great Pyramid of Cholula, predating 1530 and in the ruins of Chichen Itza on the Yucatán Peninsula.%5B2%5D
For more complete history of the Chihuahua breed see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahua_(dog). It is actually quite fascinating.

Were they serving tacos in the dining car that day?
It seems that the cuisine of Chihuahua is a bit more varied than tacos:

http://www.amigotrails.com/food-copper-canyon-mexico/

http://www.enjoymexico.net/chihuahua-gastronomy-mexico.php

I think I'll try the caldo de oso.
oh no.... I was just wondering if Taco Bell is doing something on Amtrak.

Do people not remember the Taco Bell Chihuahua anymore? :(

Ah yes, I remember.

Well, after reading dlagrua's original post, I have tried to look at this from a different angle.

I have a neighbor and friend who is an excellent cook, but I have to make excuses to not go to her house if she invites me for dinner, because she lets her cats walk on the dining room table during dinner, which I find unpleasant.

So I think I can understand now why dlagrua's experience with the dog in the dining car might have been unpleasant.
guess you won't like how this lady cooks.... :(

Ah yes, I remember.
it does make me wonder.... would the OP have minded the chihuahua if it was the famous Taco Bell chihuahua? do people discriminate against a nobody chihuahua as opposed to a celebrity chihuahua? people usually don't mind hugging sweaty celebrities... or was that just me?(hugging Steffi Graf many years ago after she just finished playing a game)

https://www.amtrak.com/pets

Pets must remain inside their carrier while in stations and onboard trains. Please keep your pet with you at all times.
So a sleeper passenger would need to carry the pet carrier, with pet inside, to the dining car.
But, it would seem OBS blew it:

Pets are welcome in Coach Class, but please remember they may not travel in other accommodations or food service cars.

I like animals, but no. Your dog can eat with you at home, or at dog-friendly restaurants, but in a public place where people have not explicitly agreed to a meal with animals, no. It shows a disrespect for others to assume everyone else in the dining car is okay with having your dog as a dinner partner.

As far as the dog being in the sleeper, the rules say 7 hours is all the longer they can travel, right? For any animal bigger than a chihuahua, I would think being cooped up for even that long would be unpleasant. Some chihuahuas spend lots of time in people's purses, so maybe they don't mind. So do we make an exception for chihuahuas? Methinks no.

Seems like several someones chose to overlook the rules here.

Yeah, unless it was a service animal (and not a support animal) it's not allowed.

As for a service animal the only questions that can be asked are:

1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

I have several friends with actual service animals and they spend a LOT of effort in training them and get really annoyed with folks who are clearly abusing the system. It makes things that much harder for them.

In general a service animal will always be kept under control. Yapping and eating at a table probably does NOT qualify as that.

And while a patron and their service animal can NOT be asked to leave simply because of the presence of the animal, they CAN be asked to leave if the animal (or patron) is disruptive.

i.e. there has to be a cause of action.

And note a service animal != pet.

I have to agree, not even a "real" service animal should be eating at a restaurant table. It can accompany its human to the dining car, and wait nearby, but getting up on a seat/chair, or eating off the table, is a no-no (BAD DOG!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back