Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Mail and Express future

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:55 AM

The post office already operates on a hub-and-spoke model for the most part; it's much more efficient and allows computerized sorting to be done reasonably and inexpensively. Any sort of RPO set-up with on-board sorting would be, in comparison, a huge cost sink. First class mail already has went down to a two day standard for local mail (instead of next-day) because the USPS wants to have all mail go to the large sorting centers to be processed instead of having smaller local processing centers. I don't see any reason why the USPS would reverse course on that and start having RPOs again. Maybe the USPS would start contracting with Amtrak again to move some first class mail in a point-to-point fashion, but even then unless Amtrak starts carrying baggage cars full of mail I don't see it being efficient for the USPS to try and use Amtrak as a middle-mile solution for transporting mail.

#62 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

jebr  is correct.  Local POs would have to sort mail and bar code mail that could go onto trains.  They don't do that anymore except mail handed to a clerk..   As well someone has to be on duty  to meet midnight trains.

#63 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

I would think working on postal delivery is a dead end anyway. Im not advocating for it, but how much longer do you really think we will have letter delivery?
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#64 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

Additional clerks at each PO would only make loses worse.  Now if a postage reduction for bar coding zip codes could run through optical scanners then maybe ?  That way only mail to a RPO would go.  And with onle one train on most routes a day anything over 6 hours from RPO would go to regional sort center.

Edited by west point, 02 January 2018 - 08:13 PM.

#65 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

We'll have letter delivery forever.

But it's not going to be a high-volume business.

Railroads thrive on high-volume business, and do badly on low-volume businesses.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users