Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

CHI-MKE electrification

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Electrify CHI-MKE

How should the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor be used reguardless of cost

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I'm wondering if one cost is for ventilation with the current layout and the higher costs are with new buildings overhead? The canopies are in bad, no, terrible, shape as is the ceiling of the northern portion which is under the building so some repair might be required to install anything to the ceiling, such as ducts and fans. I gather that Metra is either replacing locomotives or the emissions controls in some as part of the ventilation issue.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#42 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

It seems to me, at least, that if Union is going to be rebuilt it should be rebuilt as a through station rather than a stub terminal which would enable an S-bahn style commuter network and shorter dwell times too. Ahhh, dreaming is fun! And I'd like a panda while we're at it.

I'll take a cat. My last one died a long time ago.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#43 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

I'm wondering if one cost is for ventilation with the current layout and the higher costs are with new buildings overhead? The canopies are in bad, no, terrible, shape as is the ceiling of the northern portion which is under the building so some repair might be required to install anything to the ceiling, such as ducts and fans. I gather that Metra is either replacing locomotives or the emissions controls in some as part of the ventilation issue.

I took a few minutes to look at the Union Station Master Plan, in hopes of getting some insight into the ventilation question.

As you know, Amtrak plans on remodeling the current concourse, including the Canal Street entrance. Plans for the entrance call for moving stairs and escalators to improve traffic flow on the concourse floor. The rendering from the December, 2013 edition of the Master Plan showed this-

aevr0c4.jpg

zvbYE3k.jpg

In the illustration below, you can see the location of the diesel exhaust plenum. It would be right behind the wall that the departures/arrivals board is hanging on in the first rendering above. Despite the optimistic amount of light that the second rendering shows, that plenum really gets in the way of allowing light down onto the concourse.

tOS8Dbk.jpg

Now, look at the most recent renderings for the Canal Street entrance -

0JwybRe.jpg

jpwtcgk.jpg

The new design seems to provide for not only improved traffic flow, but also a marked improvement in the amount of light allowed into the concourse, achieved from the use of what appears to be highly reflective materials and the much more open, flowing transition from the Canal entrance to the concourse below. I can't see how they can achieve anything like that with the exhaust plenum as it currently exists.

A sizable chunk of the money they seek must be going towards redesigning the plenum.

Regarding repairing the ceiling of the train shed, I was of the understanding that maintenance/repair of the ceiling is the responsibility of the owners of the buildings over the tracks. The City of Chicago has the responsibility of maintaining the portion of the train shed that sits under Canal Street. If that's correct, Amtrak's only responsibility would be the portion of the south tracks not covered by 300 S. Riverside or the Old Post Office.

Edited by MisterUptempo, 07 June 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#44 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:58 PM

How bad is the fume problem in CUS? I can imagine having so many LD trains idling for so long, as well as all the commuter routes, and even the SD routes that sit for hours before going anywhere. Is it bad enough where electrification would solve many problems, or few? Also, if oil prices spike for long periods, electric trains could save money...

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#45 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:54 AM

Maybe fumes could be reduced by hooking all trains to station HEP until 5 minutes before departure ? Cost analysis needed for ongoing labor verses fixed capital costs.

#46 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

How long does it take to start up a P42, SC-44, F40PH (and all Metra variations), and the other Metra engines from cold?

Edited by norfolkwesternhenry, 13 June 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#47 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

How long does it take to start up a P42, SC-44, F40PH (and all Metra variations), and the other Metra engines from cold?

If the engines are cold...especially Chicago cold...they very well may not start at all. Sure you want to go there in a busy terminal?

There's a reason that many railroads and heavy equipment operators in the cold country run their Diesel engines 24/7, except for maintenance.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#48 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

If the engines are cold...especially Chicago cold...they very well may not start at all. Sure you want to go there in a busy terminal?

There's a reason that many railroads and heavy equipment operators in the cold country run their Diesel engines 24/7, except for maintenance.

Even some outfits put some kind of heater in the fuel tank.

Edited by west point, 14 June 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#49 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

If starting engines in Chicago is an issue due to cold, there are many other Amtrak terminals that are even more vulnerable. Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Port Huron, Pontiac, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Rensselaer (NY), Montreal, Rutland, St. Albans, Springfield (MA), Portland (ME), and Brunswick are all colder. Most of these are smaller cities with few or no extra Amtrak locomotives stored, so is it ever an issue of the locomotive not being able to start whatsoever?
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#50 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,768 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:56 PM

It is not an issue because locomotives are not shutdown perhaps? I know they are not shut down at St. Albans for sure.

#51 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

I've seen ads in TRAINS magazine for block heaters so you can shut down the prime mover when it's cold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users