Mother's Facilities in NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
AU Friends,

Got a question for y'all. In September, my wife will be traveling from ASD to ALB through NYP to visit her family, and will be taking our new daughter (will be 3 mo old at the time) with her. She's going to have a couple hour layover at NYP, and we were wondering, does anyone know if there are any facilities available for her to nurse or pump in private? Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~ ATE

If she's travelling first class at all, or you have points and can get a pass, you can use the Acela Lounge.

Other than that, there is not an Amtrak specific one I'm aware of.

That said, in NYS, she can nurse in public (which I realize she may not wish to do, but she has the legal right to do). So, she might want to check TGIFriday's (dark and quiet corner) or one of the other site down places.

Not a great answer, I know. Sorry.

I checked this great map: http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

I didn't see anything regarding facilities for nursing mothers, but it has a huge list of shops and restaurants (near the bottom). While it's not ideal, she may be able to find a restroom in one of the "nicer" restaurants that has an outlet close enough to a stall so she could pump.

I know many mothers who dislike nursing in bathrooms, and pumping is especially difficult with the lack of outlets near stalls. I wish more major transit hubs had mothers' rooms.

AU Friends,

Got a question for y'all. In September, my wife will be traveling from ASD to ALB through NYP to visit her family, and will be taking our new daughter (will be 3 mo old at the time) with her. She's going to have a couple hour layover at NYP, and we were wondering, does anyone know if there are any facilities available for her to nurse or pump in private? Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~ ATE
I just sent you a PM.

I wonder if there's a baby store nearby. They tend to have Mother's Rooms.

A subject that has never crossed my mind.

However you may want to check that connection time. Trains leave ever hour to ever two hours from NYP to Albany you might be getting a longer than required connection if your booking it on a single ticket. A earlier or later train might give you a better connection. Or simply booking the tickets as two transactions might produce a better connection. It might also change your price to a higher one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your feedback! In looking at the map that SarahZ provided, it doesn't look like there are any generally available facilites; unfortunately she's only travelling coach on an NER switching to an Empire Service so no option for FC service. We'll be looking at other ways to get access to the CA (thanks for the suggestions and consideration Trainmans Daughter!), as I think that would be the best possible environment.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

~ ATE

Thank you all for your feedback! In looking at the map that SarahZ provided, it doesn't look like there are any generally available facilites; unfortunately she's only travelling coach on an NER switching to an Empire Service so no option for FC service. We'll be looking at other ways to get access to the CA (thanks for the suggestions and consideration Trainmans Daughter!), as I think that would be the best possible environment.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

~ ATE
I'd be happy to mail you a one-day pass. If you still need one, please PM me with your mailing address.

She could also try going to the Amtrak Station Services office, and ask them....they may be able to provide a private location for a while...

Possibly, you can find a place thru here, http://www.momspumphere.com/
Using this website I found a Buy Buy Baby about 6-7 blocks from Penn Station at 270 7th Avenue
Thanks for sharing this site, I hadn't seen it before and it looks to be a great resource to have on hand beyond just this trip!

@Tricia, thank you for your generosity, I've sent you a PM.

I think right now our best bet is going to be to see about finding a space in the CA; I've got on my to-do this week to give them a call to see if she could utilize one of the conference rooms or other more private space during her layover there.

Appreciate all the great feedback!

~ ATE

Interesting thread. I'm not the sort of person who normally spends much time thinking about public feeding, in simple terms it's none of concern and none of my business, but I'm also unsure how the social etiquette angle is supposed to work. Not in a theoretical support/criticism sense but in a practical everyday guideline sense.

Based on what I've read you're not supposed to look in the direction of someone nursing in public or to make it obvious that I'm looking away or show virtually any decipherable reaction at all. To be perfectly honest that's just not how my brain works. I happen to believe that most men are fundamentally simple creatures. It takes us a moment to figure out what we're seeing and we often wear our reactions on our sleeve. Our brains are instinctively drawn to certain sounds, movements, and anatomical shapes, whether we want them to be or not, and it takes a few seconds to reach the point where we can decipher and react (or pretend to not react) to what we've inadvertently witnessed.

Here in Texas we're probably a generation or two away from simply not noticing and in the meantime the transitional period is genuinely confusing to me. At my office the unisex medical station was suddenly turned into a full time women-only nursing station and all the men in the office were summarily excluded. I don't want to prevent women from having a place to nurse but how does preventing men from accessing first aid items and basic medicine represent a reasonable compromise? The next solution offered was for a man to ask a woman to retrieve medicine and first aid items on his behalf. Really? I'd like to be supportive but that kind of reverse sexism nonsense really chaps my hide and probably hurts the cause as well.

There are literally hundreds of articles on how women should anticipate and respond to various aspects of public feeding, but the articles I've seen about how unrelated/unknown men are supposed to react to public feeding are few and far between. Some of the suggestions are too vague to be helpful while others range from the patently absurd to the borderline impossible. Eventually society will come to grips with what constitutes an acceptable reaction but until then it feels like a bit of a minefield for the well meaning but emotionally simplistic among us.

Interesting thread. I'm not the sort of person who normally spends much time thinking about public feeding, in simple terms it's none of concern and none of my business, but I'm also unsure how the social etiquette angle is supposed to work. Not in a theoretical support/criticism sense but in a practical everyday guideline sense.

Based on what I've read you're not supposed to look in the direction of someone nursing in public or to make it obvious that I'm looking away or show virtually any decipherable reaction at all. To be perfectly honest that's just not how my brain works. I happen to believe that most men are fundamentally simple creatures. It takes us a moment to figure out what we're seeing and we often wear our reactions on our sleeve. Our brains are instinctively drawn to certain sounds, movements, and anatomical shapes, whether we want them to be or not, and it takes a few seconds to reach the point where we can decipher and react (or pretend to not react) to what we've inadvertently witnessed.

Here in Texas we're probably a generation or two away from simply not noticing and in the meantime the transitional period is genuinely confusing to me. At my office the unisex medical station was suddenly turned into a full time women-only nursing station and all the men in the office were summarily excluded. I don't want to prevent women from having a place to nurse but how does preventing men from accessing first aid items and basic medicine represent a reasonable compromise? The next solution offered was for a man to ask a woman to retrieve medicine and first aid items on his behalf. Really? I'd like to be supportive but that kind of reverse sexism nonsense really chaps my hide and probably hurts the cause as well.

There are literally hundreds of articles on how women should anticipate and respond to various aspects of public feeding, but the articles I've seen about how unrelated/unknown men are supposed to react to public feeding are few and far between. Some of the suggestions are too vague to be helpful while others range from the patently absurd to the borderline impossible. Eventually society will come to grips with what constitutes an acceptable reaction but until then it feels like a bit of a minefield for the well meaning but emotionally simplistic among us.
That's downright crazy to block you guys from the first aid area - and to ask a woman to get you a bandaid. *smh*

I can see a need for a special room for pumping because that, to me, seems more awkward & unnatural than having the baby on the breast (yes, I've pumped).

If I happen to catch a mother's eyes, I will usually smile - hopefully in a way that lets her know I support her decision to breastfeed in public. For the short time that I breastfed my girls, I had no qualms about feeding in public.

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their thoughts and support (especially with the CA passes!). The trip was a success, and the CA staff were very polite and understanding on both legs and provided for an environment where she could discreetly pump without concern. Definately the solution that we'd recommend to anyone inquiring about this laying over in NYP going forward.

~ ATE

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their thoughts and support (especially with the CA passes!). The trip was a success, and the CA staff were very polite and understanding on both legs and provided for an environment where she could discreetly pump without concern. Definately the solution that we'd recommend to anyone inquiring about this laying over in NYP going forward.

~ ATE
Big thumbs up. Thanks for reporting back.

~ ATE
Big thumbs up. Thanks for reporting back.
Thanks also, and from my daughter and granddaughter -- good to know support is there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back