CZ/SWC sightings on Google Earth!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
I've found 2 Amtrak trains (at least) on Google Earth, both the CZ or SWC.

1. Fraser CO, Amtrak #6 California Zephyr, in Street View (this applies to Google Maps as well), with P42 #56 and P40 #824, Baggage, Trans-Sleeper, 2xCoach, Coach/Baggage, Lounge, Diner, 2xSleeper.

2. Cameron IL at the ATSF to BN connection track, there's one eastbound #4 or #6 waiting for a freight train to clear the area. Might be the SWC, because the diner is in front of the lounge (and so the sleepers are in front of the coaches).

I'll be looking for more!

I've found 2 Amtrak trains (at least) on Google Earth, both the CZ or SWC.

1. Fraser CO, Amtrak #6 California Zephyr, in Street View (this applies to Google Maps as well), with P42 #56 and P40 #824, Baggage, Trans-Sleeper, 2xCoach, Coach/Baggage, Lounge, Diner, 2xSleeper.

2. Cameron IL at the ATSF to BN connection track, there's one eastbound #4 or #6 waiting for a freight train to clear the area. Might be the SWC, because the diner is in front of the lounge (and so the sleepers are in front of the coaches).

I'll be looking for more!
Considering that the normal route for the CZ doesn't take the connection, it is almost certainly the SWC.

A few years ago Microsoft Bing had the SWC at ABQ with a Pacific Parlor Car on the end headed for Beech Grove. They have since updated it with a newer image.

Too bad that trains come and go when they get new pictures of the area. I checked on Google Maps and Earth, and I couldn't see the Cascades. :(

It's more than just trains that come and go when they get new pictures.

It was 4 years before they got new photos of my home that showed that I had moved the birdbath.

I just checked and the SWC is still shown waiting at the Cameron Interconnect for a freight train to clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
NB Cascades spotted exiting the tunnel north of Kelso WA!

Portland Union Station has a Cascades (with a P42) sitting there on the north end, and #28 sitting on the south end.

LA Union Station has 5 Metrolink (2 on the same track!) and 2 PacSurfs, too.

You used to be able to see a Wolverine at the Ann Arbor stop, but updated imagery has removed it. You can probably still see it if you use Google Earth's history function.

Peter

#14 at Santa Barbara (SBA) with private cars on the back!

Freight train (and the end of it) at County Road 28 crossing in Columbia County, NY. Near Chatham Center NY. This is the route that #448 & #449 take from ALB to BOS.

Back