Why did they take Superliners off the Pere Marquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevalDragon

Train Attendant
Does anybody know why they took the Superliners off the Pere Marquette?

I have heard everything from they cost too much money to Amtrak doesn't have the cars due to derailments. The latter seems strange because they had a Superliner Snack Coach rebuilt with a business class section for this train.

I heard it's just for the summer. As a regular Bus Class rider I prefer what we have now, but if riding coach the superliner is way better!

Superliners are (was) a winter time assignment.

The Horizon cars have issues with winter. The cold and blowing snow cause the reliability to drop hard. The original reason for the equipment to be assigned short haul Chicago routes was to proved additional equipment to maintain service levels.

What has happen that Chicago has gotten use to the extra equipment sets and it now expected to have the Superliner equipment in there rotation.

There is a good chance the equipment is still in use in the short haul Chicago area. The equipment does rotated to different assignment at times. {I.E. We need a trainset. What ready to roll?}

However the original plan was a winter time assignment to help out and when things warm up, back to the national fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back