Room change made by Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked a room for my gf from stl-chi. She was originally assigned to car 2230 train 422. Yesterday I got an email from Amtrak with a new room assignment. She is still booked on train 422 in the 2230 car but was moved to room 11. This is actually better. I am curious as to why Amtrak would do this.

I booked a room for my gf from stl-chi. She was originally assigned to car 2230 train 422. Yesterday I got an email from Amtrak with a new room assignment. She is still booked on train 422 in the 2230 car but was moved to room 11. This is actually better. I am curious as to why Amtrak would do this.
Perhaps someone requested rooms across from each other??

At least she was notified by Amtrak,a few years ago we were switched with out notice.When we boarded at SAS the sca did not have us on his list.We were switched to Trans sleeper.

Amtrak can do that? What if I book months in advance on the left side of the sleeping car because I want the view out that side? If Amtrak changes me to the right side without my permission and basically ruin my trip?(no view on the right side) :(

On Superliner sleepers, the car can face either way, so rooms will not reliably face left or right.

Steve: perhaps someone booked a longer LD trip in the Sleeper, wanted an Upstairs room ( as Betty said) and the Downstairs Rooms were open,so they were given to the "shorts" between STL and CHI since Amtrak needs the Revenue?

I've had my room changed lots of times, both with notice and without, by Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually to my gf's advantage since she won't have carry anything up and down stairs. So we are happy. As far as a room being on left or right side, you can never count on being on the side you want to be on.

The day before a trip, I got email changing me from room D to room A. I called and asked for anything but room A, and was put in room C. When the conductor lifted my ticket, he said, "By the way, you will be in room D rather than C." All that to end up where I started!

The shape of the room (and for some the location) makes it less desirable than the others. It is a matter of perspective. I took a bedroom on the CL on a trip bak from Chicago because it was cheaper than a roomette on the LSL, I was traveling solo, so it is still a big step up.

If there are no rooms across from each other then maybe Amtrak should suggest another train or another date or another route rather than casually moving an already booked passenger into another random room willy-nilly.

Can you imagine the outrage if an airline did this? "Yeah, I know you had your seat selected, but you had an empty middle and someone who wanted to sit together came along, so.... "

The airlines do this all the time for coach passengers. The only way around it is to pay for a specific seat assignment, which, of course, is an additional charge.

Can you imagine the outrage if an airline did this? "Yeah, I know you had your seat selected, but you had an empty middle and someone who wanted to sit together came along, so.... "

I've never, ever, EVER had a specific selected seat "moved" by an airline. Not once.

Not to take this off topic, so this is the last comment I'll make as if this is Flyertalk... but If an airline ever took my pre-booked, pre-seleced aisle/window seat and dumped me into a middle somewhere because someone wanted to sit together, that'd be the last flight they ever got from me. Period.

Oh, it happens. The airlines call the seat selection a "seat preference". Passengers have been bumped before, especially if there's a frequent flier paying full fare. United says a schedule change, equipment change, or "unforeseen circumstances" may result in a seat change, and that seat selection isn't guaranteed. It's the "unforeseen circumstances" that may include all sorts of things such as keeping groups with children together or the frequent flier.

I booked a roomette on the Silver Meteor from Washington DC to Winter Haven, FL for July 21 travel.

I booked the roomette in car 9710, room 1 to be nearest to the dining car because I have a

walking issue. When I began to board, the SCA informed me that I was moved to car 9712,

room 9. There was no explanation why. I had to walk through 3 cars to get to the dining car

rather than a few feet, plus a friend of mine was in room B in car 9710. There was someone

in my room 1. It caused problems in the dining car when I asked the waiter if he wanted the

numbers on my ticket or the numbers of the room I was occupying.

Is room A on a super liner that bad?
It is matter of preference. I request this bedroom when making reservations on Superliner consists. My main reason is the quiet aspect. It is the only bedroom that does not have a flimsy divider separating adjoining bedrooms (E,D or B,C).

The airlines do this all the time for coach passengers. The only way around it is to pay for a specific seat assignment, which, of course, is an additional charge.
In most cases if you have a specific preassigned seat you will not be moved before boarding simply because some last minute family asked to be seated next to each other when booking.

I've never, ever, EVER had a specific selected seat "moved" by an airline. Not once.
I have had my seats moved by the airline many times, mainly as the result of equipment changes, schedule changes, misconnections, or cancellations.

Oh, it happens. The airlines call the seat selection a "seat preference". Passengers have been bumped before, especially if there's a frequent flier paying full fare. United says a schedule change, equipment change, or "unforeseen circumstances" may result in a seat change, and that seat selection isn't guaranteed. It's the "unforeseen circumstances" that may include all sorts of things such as keeping groups with children together or the frequent flier.
I've flown hundreds of times but I've never seen some random family bump me out of a preassigned seat just because they wanted to sit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back