Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

VIA Commuter Rail for Halifax

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:37 AM

This could be interesting. It's being reported that VIA will make a proposal to the Halifax Regional Municipality to operate a Commuter Rail service:

http://www.metronews...ce-for-hrm.html

Nothing new to report on VIA's Regional Rail service they proposed last fall between Halifax-Moncton-Campbellton. Perhaps the two will be tied together.

#2 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

Very interesting....I didn't know VIA was looking to get into the commuter rail business.   I wonder how the tracks (CN?) owner's view this proposal......

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

More good news for VIA, the Trudeau Government seems to have really changed the climate for rail in Canada!

Would it be similar to the GO Train Operations in Toronto or more like METRA in Chicago?

And any ideas on extending it so connections can be made with the Ferry to/from Maine??

Edited by Bob Dylan, 16 July 2016 - 01:37 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

And any ideas on extending it so connections can be made with the Ferry to/from Maine??

Proposal is to go as far as Windsor Jct on CN's mainline about 16 miles out of Halifax. If service was restored on an additional couple of miles on the old Dominion Atlantic Railway beyond Windsor Jct., trains could reach the fast growing suburban community of Lower Sackville/Beaver Bank.

I don't see any chance of trains connecting with the Maine Ferry. It would require re-laying a couple of hundred miles of track to Yarmouth either via the South Shore route (CN) or through the Annapolis Valley.....the former Dominion Atlantic. The track is still in to nearly Kentville on the DAR (now Windsor & Hantsport Railway) but hasn’t seen a train in 7 or 8 years.

#5 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:03 AM

A year or less? I'd beg for such a turnaround for a new service here!  Looking forward to chatting face-to-face in a month Gary. :)

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#6 jamesontheroad

jamesontheroad

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

The initial meeting has gone well. The mention of existing vehicles and the low operating costs suggests to me that this will initially be operated with an RDC.

Councillors on the Transportation Standing Committee voted unanimously in favour of launching formal discussions to bring commuter rail to Halifax.

Via Rail already owns the cars that would be needed for the route, so Outhit said compared to light-rail and subways, the costs would be very low.

Last year’s report on commuter rail said startup costs would run between $36 million and $62 million, and estimated the annual operating cost would be in the order of $8 million. However, Outhit said Via Rail’s proposal is cheaper than that.

Edited by jamesontheroad, 22 July 2016 - 10:39 AM.

USA/Canada trains traveled: Adirondack, California Zephyr, Canadian, Capitol Limited, Cascades, Coast Starlight, Corridor (VIA), Crescent, Hudson Bay, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Ocean, Maple Leaf, Vermonter

#7 TheMalahat

TheMalahat

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

Word on the street is Via is shopping around the RDCs from the suspended indefinitely Vancouver Island service.

#8 jamesontheroad

jamesontheroad

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:35 AM

Word on the street is Via is shopping around the RDCs from the suspended indefinitely Vancouver Island service.

According to their fleet page, VIA have 3 x RDC1, 2 x RDC2 and one freight RDC4. How many are based in Sudbury? And where have the Victoria Island vehicles been stored since service was suspended?

USA/Canada trains traveled: Adirondack, California Zephyr, Canadian, Capitol Limited, Cascades, Coast Starlight, Corridor (VIA), Crescent, Hudson Bay, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Ocean, Maple Leaf, Vermonter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users