VIA Commuter Rail for Halifax

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
Very interesting....I didn't know VIA was looking to get into the commuter rail business. I wonder how the tracks (CN?) owner's view this proposal......

More good news for VIA, the Trudeau Government seems to have really changed the climate for rail in Canada!

Would it be similar to the GO Train Operations in Toronto or more like METRA in Chicago?

And any ideas on extending it so connections can be made with the Ferry to/from Maine??

Last edited by a moderator:
And any ideas on extending it so connections can be made with the Ferry to/from Maine??
Proposal is to go as far as Windsor Jct on CN's mainline about 16 miles out of Halifax. If service was restored on an additional couple of miles on the old Dominion Atlantic Railway beyond Windsor Jct., trains could reach the fast growing suburban community of Lower Sackville/Beaver Bank.

I don't see any chance of trains connecting with the Maine Ferry. It would require re-laying a couple of hundred miles of track to Yarmouth either via the South Shore route (CN) or through the Annapolis Valley.....the former Dominion Atlantic. The track is still in to nearly Kentville on the DAR (now Windsor & Hantsport Railway) but hasn’t seen a train in 7 or 8 years.

A year or less? I'd beg for such a turnaround for a new service here! Looking forward to chatting face-to-face in a month Gary. :)

The initial meeting has gone well. The mention of existing vehicles and the low operating costs suggests to me that this will initially be operated with an RDC.

Global News: Halifax transportation committee backs talks with Via Rail for commuter rail

Councillors on the Transportation Standing Committee voted unanimously in favour of launching formal discussions to bring commuter rail to Halifax.

Via Rail already owns the cars that would be needed for the route, so Outhit said compared to light-rail and subways, the costs would be very low.

Last year’s report on commuter rail said startup costs would run between $36 million and $62 million, and estimated the annual operating cost would be in the order of $8 million. However, Outhit said Via Rail’s proposal is cheaper than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Word on the street is Via is shopping around the RDCs from the suspended indefinitely Vancouver Island service.

Back